Otterbox Elite Case for iPad - pencil holder won't stay on

Does anyone else have this problem? I have been using my Otterbox Symmetry Series 360 Elite Case for iPad for about a month now, and the Apple Pencil storage part won't stay attached to the case. It has tabs that snap back in, but it takes considerable pressure to get them in there, and they tend to snap right back out when I do get them in the slots. Just picking up my case (not by the tray, but while touching it) is enough to pull the tray right off. It's utterly pointless like this. I have also written to Otterbox, but wondered if I'd find some tips here.

iPad (10th generation)

Posted on May 24, 2023 11:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2023 2:38 AM

Yes. Truly pathetic design. Hopeless. A real fault. Mine came off after a week. I cannot snap it back on. How can they sell such a poor design?!

10 replies

Jan 15, 2024 10:12 AM in response to thingfinder

Like AveCesare said, I had to take my ipad out of the case to snap it back in. The clips kept undoing, though, and I just couldn't apply enough force until I set it on the table and used something to press down on each side of each clip to fully lock them in. If you don't have strong hands, I definitely recommend using a tool (I grabbed pliers because I was going to try to squeeze them in, but they wouldn't squeeze over the side of the pencil holder so I just pressed using the nose of the pliers and it worked fine).

May 22, 2024 11:18 PM in response to thingfinder

Just had this happen to me after no issues for about a year. I also didn't realise the case came with an Apple Pencil holder when I bought it... but I digress.

Simply trying to snap the holder back on won't work. This does for me:

• Take your iPad out of the case.
  • Line up the four notches on the Apple Pencil holder with the holes in the case, on a stable, flat surface. Holder at the bottom, case on top, both facing up.
  • Take the back of your Apple Pencil (or any small, hard object really) and press it hard on both sides of each hole, one at a time. Each of the notches on the holder is made up of two pieces of plastic that need to be snapped back into the case separately. You'll hear a click when the plastic is back in place, so expect two clicks per notch.

Hope this finds you before you throw the holder away out of frustration!

May 25, 2023 3:49 AM in response to thingfinder

You make no mention of your iPad model.

Speaking entirely of personal experience, I have been using OtterBox Symmetry 360 Elite cases with two iPad Pro 12.9” devices for over two years - and have not experienced any issues at all.

Given that your case is relatively new - and should therefore still be within the manufacturer’s warranty - you would be best advised to seek assistance from the retailer from which it was purchased.

Otterbox Elite Case for iPad - pencil holder won't stay on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.