Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

My iPad is stuck in headphone mode

My iPad is stuck in headphone mode and consequently I can’t hear anything via the speakers.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad Air 3, iPadOS 16

Posted on May 25, 2023 12:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2023 7:48 AM

The headphone input is dirty and the device thinks something is plugged in. Use a Q-tip with most of the cotton stripped off and apply a little alcohol then clean out the headphone input. I have also used the corners of facial cotton pads. This happened to me with an iPhone and an iPad. Works every time.

8 replies

May 25, 2023 1:44 AM in response to Marchinon

Presumably you have been using the 3.5mm Headphone jack. You iPad will remain in “headphones” mode while anything is connected to this jack.

If you have already removed the 3.5mm plug - if the audio does not switch back to using the iPad’s speakers, the microswitch with the jack may not be operating properly. Sometimes repeatedly inserting and removing the plug will clear the problem.

If the issue persists, you would be best advised to visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to assist:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

May 25, 2023 5:56 AM in response to Marchinon

More information is always useful - in particular as no mention was made of connecting wirelessly using Apple AirPods.

A forced-restart will often clear an isolated software issue:

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Force restart iPad (models with the Home button)

Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

If the problem persists after performing the restart, it may be necessary to reset your iPad settings. While this reset will not cause any loss of data, as a precaution, it is always wise to ensure that you have a current iCloud or iTunes backup before performing the reset:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

When you are happy to proceed, you can perform the reset from iPad settings:

Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPad > Reset > Reset All Settings

If the problem still doesn’t clear, you would be best advised to seek assistance directly from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page. Alternatively and perhaps easier, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-support/id1130498044

May 25, 2023 5:46 AM in response to LotusPilot

I haven’t been using the 3.5 mm headphone jack as I have Apple AirPods. What I have tried since experiencing the problem however is connecting an old pair of headphones via the headphone jack you describe and then immediately removing them. This seemed to resolve the problem and took me out of headphone mode. However immediately upon using AirPods again the problem re occurred and I was unable to hear sound via the iPad speakers after disconnecting the AirPods. I was again forced to input my headphone cable in the 3.5 headphone jack to clear the problem. 😡Thanks for your advice though, very much appreciated.

My iPad is stuck in headphone mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.