Home App loses Scenes

I often use the Home app on my several Apple devices to control my Hue lights. The scenes were created in the Hue and then imported from the Hue app to Home. This was done successfully a few months ago and worked as expected until last night.

When I went to Home in my new iPhone 14 Pro Max, all the lights were there. The scenes disappeared on my iPhone as well as on my iPad Pro and MacBook Air. I did import several scenes once again from Hue. As of now they are in the Home app.

All that has changed is that I purchased a new iPhone 14 Pro Max to replace my iPhone 12 Pro Max a week or so ago. I cannot recall if the scenes were available after I updated the new phone. My guess is that they were.

More info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Neal

Posted on May 25, 2023 8:50 AM

9 replies

Sep 1, 2023 2:28 AM in response to Watzman

Just discovered the same problem and bug yesterday. All my stored scenes in the iOS app are gone. To all commenters here saying it is a hub issue, struggle with this one. I think it is a bug in the Hue app and hopefully one they can fix. With the holidays coming up, hope to restore the saved scenes I have.

Sep 1, 2023 4:15 AM in response to GleeSC

I had a long discussion with a Senior Advisor at Apple Support. He confirmed that a hub is required for the scenes to remain. Essentially the new architecture of HomeKit needs a hub to work best.

I did find a workaround to access Hue Scenes. The Hue app is supported in Apple's Shortcuts app and Scenes can be launched from a Shortcut.

May 26, 2023 1:50 PM in response to Watzman

Hello Watzman,

We understand that scenes imported from the Hue app into the Home app disappeared and you had to reimport them. While we can't speculate as to why this happened, we're happy to provide steps that could help in the future:

Keep all devices up to date, especially the Home Hub: Set up your HomePod, HomePod mini, Apple TV, or iPad as a home hub - Apple Support

Keep the firmware up to date on your Hue accessories: Philips Hue Labs - Software update

Take care.

Jun 8, 2023 7:33 AM in response to Watzman

Hey Watzman,

Last March, Apple released an upgrade for devices to the new Home architecture. It sounds like your new iPhone was upgraded for the new architecture as well: Upgrade to the new Home architecture - Apple Support You’ll want to make sure that your other devices are upgraded too.

With the new architecture, you’ll need to use a home hub as well: Set up your HomePod, HomePod mini, Apple TV, or iPad as a home hub - Apple Support. Please note that the new Home architecture no longer supports the use of an iPad as a home hub.

All the best.

Jun 8, 2023 8:46 AM in response to SnickZ.

Thanks for your reply. Although I do not have a Home hub, my Hue devices work and respond on all my Apple devices including an iPhone 14 Pro Max, an iPad Pro, and a MacBook Air (M2), all with current versions of their respective OS.

The issue is that Scenes exported to Home from the Hue app disappear from Home after several weeks of regular use. I have been able to replicate this issue.

Neal

Jun 8, 2023 9:14 AM in response to Watzman

Hey Watzman,

Were you about to go through the steps to ensure Philip Hue app is up-to-date?

If you checked and the app is up-to-date, we recommend contacting Apple support for further assistance. You can contact them here: Get Support. They should be able to help with isolating the issue and getting you towards a resolution.

You also may want to contact Philips Hue support to for additional assistance with the scenes disappearing after importing them from the Hue app to the Home app. Here's the link: Philips Hue Support - FAQs | Philips Hue US

Take care.

May 28, 2024 8:03 AM in response to Watzman

I've experienced this twice now but not related to the Hue Hub issue. About 3 weeks ago, all of the HomeKit devices in my office "home" disappeared. Most of the scenes disappeared as well. I have a HomePod mini as my hub. I spoke with Apple Support and they have no clue how it happened.

Thankfully, my main "home" did not have any issues. I have 70 devices setup there.

Today, I walked in my office and told Siri "I'm here" and she had no clue why I was asking that. I checked the Home app and all of my scenes for my office were gone.

Bizarre and frustrating.

Home App loses Scenes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.