Received pop-up notifications: Critical Mac Security Alert

Today I received pop-up notifications, Critical Mac Security Alert and Mac at Risk! Secure Now! Protect with Our Antivirus Today. These started after I was reading an article and clicked on a link in the article. I know, I shouldn't have clicked on any link. My question is, how do I get rid of these pop-up boxes that continue to appear?? Thank You, Carol

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on May 25, 2023 9:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2023 10:32 AM

Those are Safari Notifications. Stop them by following these instructions.

• Go to Safari's Preferences (or Settings) menu > Websites > Notifications, and remove everything there.

For reference: Change Websites settings in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

These started after I was reading an article and clicked on a link in the article.

It's not clicking on a link that causes it. It was granting your permission to have websites send you Notifications. Don't do that. Refer to Customize website notifications in Safari on Mac - Apple Support.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2023 10:32 AM in response to cweymo

Those are Safari Notifications. Stop them by following these instructions.

• Go to Safari's Preferences (or Settings) menu > Websites > Notifications, and remove everything there.

For reference: Change Websites settings in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

These started after I was reading an article and clicked on a link in the article.

It's not clicking on a link that causes it. It was granting your permission to have websites send you Notifications. Don't do that. Refer to Customize website notifications in Safari on Mac - Apple Support.

Received pop-up notifications: Critical Mac Security Alert

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.