Custom Headers and Footers in Pages

I am formatting my manuscript using Pages. I have been able to customize the Headers so that my name (as author) appears on each left hand page (even) and the book title appears on each right hand page (odd). However, having "different headers" also affects the footers so I am only getting page numbers showing in the footer on the odd pages.

And that's odd! How do I get continuous page numbers throughout this section of the manuscript document but maintain the two different headers? In other words, how can I control Headers separate from Footers?

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on May 25, 2023 4:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2023 3:22 PM

Your screenshot looks okay. Just to reiterate on page 1 place automatic page number "1", and on page 2 place automatic page number "2". The rest should just follow.

You could try a dummy layout to test in case there is something peculiar with the set up on this file.

6 replies

May 26, 2023 6:09 AM in response to picas

Thank you for trying to help me!!

I've taken two screen shots and inserted them below.

These are my settings, where I have different Headers. However, the page number in the footer shows only on the right page.

And below is a screen shot of a 4-page spread and is the result when I use Insert Page Number as you suggested. It then repeats on every left page as page 2.

Custom Headers and Footers in Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.