Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Has a fix been released for iPhone automatic updates not working?

Has a fix been released for automatic updates not working? In my entire time owning my iPhone 12 Pro, I have never had automatic updates actually work. I mean that with zero exaggeration. My phone is always connected to Wi-Fi at home and I plug it up every night before bed. I’ve tried using the Apple Wireless charger and plugging directly into the port with an Apple certified cord. I’ve even factory reset my phone and still no luck. Is this a known issue that has been given up on being resolved or is there a fix available?

I have the settings turned on and not only has it not downloaded the current update, I didn’t even get a notification it was available until I manually checked.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on May 26, 2023 7:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2023 11:59 AM

Netrodamus wrote:

I have a Fiber internet connection and over 150 GB of space. I work in IT and have troubleshooted everything on my end...

As you work in IT and have already troubleshot all, escalate this to the vendor; contact Apple Support.

10 replies

May 27, 2023 12:41 PM in response to Netrodamus

Netrodamus wrote:

Has a fix been released for automatic updates not working? In my entire time owning my iPhone 12 Pro, I have never had automatic updates actually work. I mean that with zero exaggeration. My phone is always connected to Wi-Fi at home and I plug it up every night before bed. I’ve tried using the Apple Wireless charger and plugging directly into the port with an Apple certified cord. I’ve even factory reset my phone and still no luck. Is this a known issue that has been given up on being resolved or is there a fix available?

I have the settings turned on and not only has it not downloaded the current update, I didn’t even get a notification it was available until I manually checked.

iOS update notifications are staggered to manage the load on the download servers. It can take a week or two before all phones are notified, and likewise automatic updates are staggered; if you wait long enough it should update automatically, but not as quickly as a manual update.

There are, I would guess, about 500 million phones eligible for each update; think about what would happen if all tried to update at the same time.

May 28, 2023 6:37 AM in response to Netrodamus

Netrodamus wrote:

That seems to be the default answer on this forum regarding this issue over the years, but as I mentioned in my earlier post, this has been a problem since I first purchased this phone. Thanks all, but it seems I will just keep getting excuses and not an actual solution.

You have told us you have IT experience, and have tried existing troubleshooting and suggestions without resolution.

As someone with IT experience, what would you then suggest such a poster do, given a persistent and unresolved issue?

You would probably suggest the poster contact vendor support, correct?

Let us know what Apple Support might suggest.

Automatic updates ‘round here usually get prompted within (roughly) two weeks of release, and (much) faster for the recent rapid updates.

May 28, 2023 7:19 AM in response to Netrodamus

My wife has automatic updates enabled and a new update usually occurs....as far as I can tell.....within 10-14 days of the release date. Other than updating during the initial setup when the phone was new, I have never had to manually update her phone.

So automatic updates is a solution for her, because she does not want to mess with settings manually.

But, waiting.....even if it works....may not be the solution that you are looking for.

May 28, 2023 9:05 AM in response to Netrodamus

Hello Netrodamus!

I also have automatic updates enabled, and my iPhone has never yet updated anything automatically. As suggested in this thread, this is probably because I never give it enough time to; I manually check for, download, and install updates about once per week if they’re available.

So, I think if you give the updates enough time, they will automatically download and install.

Have a wonderful day! 😊

Has a fix been released for iPhone automatic updates not working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.