Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Wrong email address on Apple Watch when setting up

i am trying to set up my new Apple Watch series 8. When I get to the messaging screen it asks you to put in your password. However it has an eating Apple ID/ email and I am not able to change it. How do I pair and set up my watch with my Apple ID?

Posted on May 26, 2023 8:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2023 1:23 PM

It appears that the watch is Activation Locked to a previous owner's Apple ID.

Unless you can get the original owner to release the lock you can never use this  Watch.

Activation Lock prevents lost and stolen  Watches from being used.

M1 Mac mini, macOS 13.4;  Watch, series 7 GPS/cellular, watchOS 9.5; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 16.5; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16.5; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 16.5; HomePods, audioOS 16.5 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2023 1:23 PM in response to Shawnpet

It appears that the watch is Activation Locked to a previous owner's Apple ID.

Unless you can get the original owner to release the lock you can never use this  Watch.

Activation Lock prevents lost and stolen  Watches from being used.

M1 Mac mini, macOS 13.4;  Watch, series 7 GPS/cellular, watchOS 9.5; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 16.5; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16.5; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 16.5; HomePods, audioOS 16.5 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

Wrong email address on Apple Watch when setting up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.