Hello! why is the settings icon red Badge!🔴 when I don't have anything in it, how can I remove it because it annoys me!🤔

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on May 26, 2023 10:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2023 4:11 AM

Hi!

The settings icon with the red badge usually indicates that there are notifications or updates available within the settings. However, if the icon keeps showing the red badge despite you checking all notifications and updates, there may be a problem or a system error.

Here are some steps you might try to solve the problem of the red badge icon:

1) Restart your iMac: Sometimes, a simple reboot can solve minor problems like this. Try restarting your imac and check if the settings icon returns to normal.

2) Check settings notifications: Make sure you have carefully checked all notifications within your iMac’s settings. There may be something that requires your attention, such as a software update or a configuration notification.

3) Update system software: Check if there are software updates available for your imac. Open System Preferences and click "Software Update" to check if there are any new updates to install. Make sure to install all available updates and check if the settings icon returns to normal after the update.

4) Reset to default: If the red badge icon persists despite the above steps, you may want to try restoring your imac’s default settings. Keep in mind that this will reset all settings to factory settings and may take some time to configure your device again.

To reset your imac to its default settings, follow these steps:

1) Open System Preferences.

Click "Users and Groups" or "User Accounts".

2) Select your user account.

3) Click "Login" or "Account Access".

4) At the bottom left, click on the lock and enter your administrator password.

5) Click "Create a new encryption key" or "Restore the default configuration" (the exact text may vary depending on the operating system version).

6) Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the reset.

I recommend that you take a backup of your important data before restoring the default settings.

If you can’t solve the problem by following these tips, it might be helpful to contact Apple Tech Support for additional support specific to your imac.

I hope I helped you!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2023 4:11 AM in response to Aleks_BG

Hi!

The settings icon with the red badge usually indicates that there are notifications or updates available within the settings. However, if the icon keeps showing the red badge despite you checking all notifications and updates, there may be a problem or a system error.

Here are some steps you might try to solve the problem of the red badge icon:

1) Restart your iMac: Sometimes, a simple reboot can solve minor problems like this. Try restarting your imac and check if the settings icon returns to normal.

2) Check settings notifications: Make sure you have carefully checked all notifications within your iMac’s settings. There may be something that requires your attention, such as a software update or a configuration notification.

3) Update system software: Check if there are software updates available for your imac. Open System Preferences and click "Software Update" to check if there are any new updates to install. Make sure to install all available updates and check if the settings icon returns to normal after the update.

4) Reset to default: If the red badge icon persists despite the above steps, you may want to try restoring your imac’s default settings. Keep in mind that this will reset all settings to factory settings and may take some time to configure your device again.

To reset your imac to its default settings, follow these steps:

1) Open System Preferences.

Click "Users and Groups" or "User Accounts".

2) Select your user account.

3) Click "Login" or "Account Access".

4) At the bottom left, click on the lock and enter your administrator password.

5) Click "Create a new encryption key" or "Restore the default configuration" (the exact text may vary depending on the operating system version).

6) Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the reset.

I recommend that you take a backup of your important data before restoring the default settings.

If you can’t solve the problem by following these tips, it might be helpful to contact Apple Tech Support for additional support specific to your imac.

I hope I helped you!

Hello! why is the settings icon red Badge!🔴 when I don't have anything in it, how can I remove it because it annoys me!🤔

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.