Formula to pull SUMIF data for specific months?

I'm trying to create a type of budget spreadsheet to monitor my spending, and could use some help on pulling specific data from my Apple Card statements that I import into a table. My spreadsheet contains two tables:

1. Monthly Totals - monthly totals for the four "Type" categories (column F of the Apple Card Transactions table).
  2. Apple Card Transactions - CSV exported statements that I copy/paste into this table.

I'm currently using a SUMIF function on cell B2 in table 1. It's referencing data from column F and G of table 2. It's looking for any cell that contains the word "Purchase" and adds the sum of all those purchases. This is great and exactly what I wanted! However, the problem is for each month I have to manually choose the cells in table 2 for the SUMIF function.

There must be a way to automate this so anytime I add new data to table 2, the cells in table 1 will automatically fill in the sums for each type (Purchase, Payment, Credit, Debit) for each corresponding month. In other words, I just want to copy/paste the CSV data into table 2 and have table 1 auto-fill the sums for each month.

Posted on May 26, 2023 2:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2023 3:18 PM

Hi RockyMountainOwl,

you can use SUMIFS for this task

Formula for Table 2

A2=SUMIFS(Table 1::$B,Table 1::$C,$A2,Table 1::$A,">="&B$1,Table 1::$A,"<="&EOMONTH(B$1,1))

It will take the Type and date and calculate the sum if all match

Row 1 in table 2 must be formatted as date, you can change it so it will only show the month.

Table 1::$A,">="&B$1 will check if the date is >= Jan 1st and Table 1::$A,"<="&EOMONTH(B$1,1) will check if it is <= Jan 31st. This will always be based on the date shown in row 1.

SUMIFS - Apple Support

If you set the $ sign correctly you can drag the formula to the rest of your cells.

Hope this will help

Regards Ralf

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2023 3:18 PM in response to RockyMountainOwl

Hi RockyMountainOwl,

you can use SUMIFS for this task

Formula for Table 2

A2=SUMIFS(Table 1::$B,Table 1::$C,$A2,Table 1::$A,">="&B$1,Table 1::$A,"<="&EOMONTH(B$1,1))

It will take the Type and date and calculate the sum if all match

Row 1 in table 2 must be formatted as date, you can change it so it will only show the month.

Table 1::$A,">="&B$1 will check if the date is >= Jan 1st and Table 1::$A,"<="&EOMONTH(B$1,1) will check if it is <= Jan 31st. This will always be based on the date shown in row 1.

SUMIFS - Apple Support

If you set the $ sign correctly you can drag the formula to the rest of your cells.

Hope this will help

Regards Ralf

Formula to pull SUMIF data for specific months?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.