Safari sends me messages stating a website I'm on - like Twitter - is using too much power! Why is that?

Safari sends me messages stating a website I'm on - like Twitter - is using too much power! Why is that?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 26, 2023 2:34 PM

3 replies

May 27, 2023 6:59 AM in response to John Galt

Duh, really? I know that is what was notified to me by Safari. Why don't I get that message when using other browser sites, then? Does Safari not have enough power like other sites such as Google, Firefox, Opera and Tor. That was my point, John Galt. I am a former system engineer and do understand the power of browsers (and their lack of their power). Thank you for pointing out that "little something" that I already knew!

May 27, 2023 11:01 AM in response to RBFL4

It's not a question of a browser's ability or inability to meet a particular web page's demands, but the sad fact is most website developers simply don't care. Nearly all of them are designed for one and only one purpose: to deliver interest based, targeted advertising, using whatever means necessary to do that. The effect on a Mac's performance and the commensurate amount of energy required is not a concern.

Apparently Apple perceived the need to inform people when a web page is using significant energy. Some people just don't know, or they lack the technical ability to correlate, or just aren't interested.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.