Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

MAIL: email going straight to trash

Most, but not all, of incoming mail goes straight to trash; very few land in my in box. I am unsure of how this happened. How can I fix it? Not sure whether this is related or not, but some of my e-mail loses its message and gets another message attached; thus 2 headings, each with the same content. This doesn't happen a whole lot, but I have missed some messages I wanted.

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on May 26, 2023 5:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2023 2:39 PM

You could always look at the full header information of one of those emails and it will tell you the route it took and the reason it went there. I also forgot about mx tools (there’s lots) you can use to identify problems with mail servers. I used one with one of my domains that was receiving very delayed mail. It basically does the same thing as you viewing your header data with the final report being a more understandable format. And you don’t have to figure out how to download the whole email and then read the lengthy header yourself; the service I used just has you sent an email to them and it generates a report. It doesn’t really matter now that you’ve fixed it but I thought I’d mention it in case others run into issues.

glad it worked out one way or another!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2023 2:39 PM in response to Sara43

You could always look at the full header information of one of those emails and it will tell you the route it took and the reason it went there. I also forgot about mx tools (there’s lots) you can use to identify problems with mail servers. I used one with one of my domains that was receiving very delayed mail. It basically does the same thing as you viewing your header data with the final report being a more understandable format. And you don’t have to figure out how to download the whole email and then read the lengthy header yourself; the service I used just has you sent an email to them and it generates a report. It doesn’t really matter now that you’ve fixed it but I thought I’d mention it in case others run into issues.

glad it worked out one way or another!

May 27, 2023 2:25 PM in response to Vercinghettorix

Thank you for your response. It spurred me on. While I can't say what worked, I finally got i tfixed. I could find no rule that seemed to cause a problem, but since all information I found spoke of inadvertent rules, I deleted all rules except 2 that forwarded email to my husband. Couldn't for the life of me say what was the key, so couldn't give anyone else an idea for a similar problem.

MAIL: email going straight to trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.