Why trail loop compromises heart rate reading in swimming?

Apple Watch ultra, most updated software as of 05/25/2023.

Like many other owners, I have been rather disappointed that the Apple Watch Ultra fails to measure my heart rate when swimming, especially freestyle.

Previously I owned Series 2 and 4, both were far more capable than this brand new Apple Watch Ultra.

This makes the watch band type suspicious — so I bought a sport band (fluorinated rubber) just the same as I got with my old watches and swapped out the trail loop band that came with the Apple Watch ultra.

Immediately I see an improved heart rate reading in swimming last night.

So the question is, what exactly is happening here? Why does the trail loop band makes the Watch so difficult to read heart rate???

Apple Watch Ultra, watchOS 9

Posted on May 26, 2023 6:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2023 1:17 AM

The Apple webpage states that specific watchbands were created to be used for specific activities with the  Watch. Ultra.

"Making the ultimate sports watch for athletes of all kinds required a unique approach. That’s why specialized bands for outdoor adventures, endurance training, and water sports are as meticulously crafted as the watch itself."

Perhaps you are using a band that wasn't intended to be used as you are using it.

M1 Mac mini, macOS 13.4;  Watch, series 7 GPS/cellular, watchOS 9.5; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 16.5; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16.5; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 16.5; HomePods, audioOS 16.5 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2023 1:17 AM in response to ZTao

The Apple webpage states that specific watchbands were created to be used for specific activities with the  Watch. Ultra.

"Making the ultimate sports watch for athletes of all kinds required a unique approach. That’s why specialized bands for outdoor adventures, endurance training, and water sports are as meticulously crafted as the watch itself."

Perhaps you are using a band that wasn't intended to be used as you are using it.

M1 Mac mini, macOS 13.4;  Watch, series 7 GPS/cellular, watchOS 9.5; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 16.5; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16.5; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 16.5; HomePods, audioOS 16.5 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

Why trail loop compromises heart rate reading in swimming?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.