iphone xr passcode

Hi - I have had a very strange error on my iPhone XR which I recently started using. When I unlocked my Iphone I got prompted for changing my Iphone. When I entered my current passcode - it wouldn't accept it. It locked my our for 1 minute. After I tried using my old passcode - it again didn't accept it and locked me out for 5 minutes and subsequently it erased the Iphone after repeated attempts. This looks like a firmware bug - has anyone encountered this before? Is there a fix? Is there any way to permanently delete Iphone prompting to change passcode?

thanks

iPhone XR, iOS 15

Posted on May 27, 2023 3:30 AM

9 replies

May 27, 2023 10:40 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

No that is not correct .... the passcode was correct. There is some other issue which I need to figure out - this is the second time it has happened with this particular phone during the last 2 months. I have never had an issue with my Iphone8 - which I had used for last so many years. What is strange is that I got a prompt to change my passcode, even though it was changed about a month back. This normally should not happen.

May 27, 2023 12:24 PM in response to rsm_uk

Go to Settings/General/VPN & Device Management to see if there is a Profile. But if you have a company or school email account there will be one. MDM is “stronger” than just having an email address; essentially MDM gives complete control of settings on you phone to the administrator, and cannot be removed. It is normally only present on iPhones issued by the business entity. If all you have is an email account you can delete its certificate and email account to “free” your phone from external security control.

May 27, 2023 2:09 PM in response to rsm_uk

If you use it to check work emails that gives your work IT department the ability to set security options on your phone. That includes a schedule for changing the passcode, requiring backups to be encrypted, and the Erase all data setting. And many others; for example, it can block using the camera, emailing or texting photos, and potentially any activity that could compromise company intellectual property.

Also, go to Settings/Contacts/Accounts; if the work account is turned on your contacts will sync to the work Exchange account, and if you ever leave the company your contacts will disappear. Likewise for Calendar, Notes, and Reminders.

iphone xr passcode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.