Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

edirol FA-101 firewire audio interface stopped working

Up until recently my FA-101 audio interface was working fine with M2 max macbook pro, however apparently after a recent system update - it stopped showing up in audio devices. Tried reconnecting / rebooting / restarting, etc. Please advise how to resolve this.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 27, 2023 8:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2023 7:52 AM

Have the same issue. M 2 Max connected to a Mac Thunderbolt Display via USB-C to Thunderbolt adapter. The display has various outs like USB, Thunderbolt, Ethernet and Firewire. Most devices are recognized by the M 2 but not the FA-101, thus it was before. Roland does not provide any firmware for the FA-101 for Mac users as the FA-101 was always to be recognized automatically. Any hope with future updates?

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2023 7:52 AM in response to konstantin.leo

Have the same issue. M 2 Max connected to a Mac Thunderbolt Display via USB-C to Thunderbolt adapter. The display has various outs like USB, Thunderbolt, Ethernet and Firewire. Most devices are recognized by the M 2 but not the FA-101, thus it was before. Roland does not provide any firmware for the FA-101 for Mac users as the FA-101 was always to be recognized automatically. Any hope with future updates?

May 28, 2023 3:17 PM in response to konstantin.leo

Hello konstantin.leo,

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Communities. We're happy to look into this with you.

Do you have other devices you can connect using the same cable or port? If so, are those devices working? Also, have you tried using a different cable to connect this item to your MacBook Pro? If not, you may want to give that a try so you can rule out the cable or port as the cause.

It's a good idea to check for any firmware updates and compatibility between this device and the macOS. You would want to reach out to the audio interface manufacturer to check these details.

Please take a moment to review If a USB device doesn’t work with Mac - Apple Support as there are several suggestions here that may help you find the right solution.

Best regards.

Sep 24, 2023 8:55 AM in response to Missy5937

Hi Missy,

yes - all other devices on the same port are connecting. The device even shows up in system report, but not in audio devices. Please see the screenshot attached.

There's no firmware updates on the audio interface as it works directly as CoreAudio device and has been working with every mac for the last 18 years.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Konstantin

Jun 16, 2023 10:15 PM in response to konstantin.leo

Hi konstantin.leo I am having the same problem as you, I have just bought the Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter and the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter to connect my Edirol FA 101 to my Macbook Air M1. The FA-101 lights up when connected but my Macbook does not see it. I have recently updated to macOS 13.4 and I just want to know what was the last system version that the FA-101 worked with on your Macbook?

Regards,

Jim.

Nov 16, 2023 6:12 AM in response to konstantin.leo

I have the same problem with the same Edirol FA-101.

It sometimes doesn't work. It shows up in System Information but not in Audi MIDI Setup.

Sometimes it works for days, sometimes it doesn't. Other devices on the same bus work perfectly. Even the device that’s connected with firewire via the Edirol FA-101 works perfectly (Plextor CD/DVD writer)

Usually I can get it to work again by unplugging the Edirol FA-101 from Firewire and power and connecting it again.

Running Monterey 12.7.1 on a MacPro5,1

edirol FA-101 firewire audio interface stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.