Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iMac fails to boot after cloning

Aloha all!

I just bought a new iMac for use in a college computer lab. The line-item on the invoice reads IMAC CTO 21.5"/3.06/500GB/4670/SD.

I did with it what I do with all the machines running in there; namely, to clone the hard drive from a master machine. Otherwise, the installation of software and customization of accounts is literally a 3-day operation.

And now, after the cloning, the new machine won't boot. I've tried to reset the PRAM during power-up, but that doesn't work. I mean, I don't ever get a second "bong." The machine comes up to the Apple logo, but no spinny wheel underneath.

I assume the machine shipped with OS 10.6.x. The clone image is 10.5.8.

I need this machine running by Monday. Any suggestions?

Mahalo!

Various and sundry, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Run a lab, got a lot.

Posted on Aug 18, 2010 4:35 PM

7 replies

Aug 18, 2010 4:50 PM in response to HawaiianHippie

If the machine is new and shipped with 10.6, then it cannot boot with 10.5.x8. For some time now all of Apple's Macs can boot only with the OS they shipped with or a later version. Also, the clone you have may be from another model and would not have the model specific drivers etc. necessary for booting your newer machine even if it were 10.6.x. Any clones you make should be specific to the machine they came from. Looks like you will have to re install from the restore DVD that came with the machine. Sorry 😟

Rick

Message was edited by: Richard Segedi

Aug 18, 2010 5:24 PM in response to HawaiianHippie

Actually, once you restore your system in the new machine you can then use Migration Assistant to transfer all your setting from one of the older machines to the new one. It does it relatively quickly and painlessly. That, in fact, is the way you're supposed to do what you were hoping to do with the master clone. You'll end up with just about what you want. Here's a link to the procedure:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3322

Good luck and have a nice weekend 🙂

Rick

Aug 18, 2010 7:27 PM in response to HawaiianHippie

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. When I transferred my stuff from my old computer to this one (a couple of years ago) I didn't have to add a thing. I was up and running as soon as the process was finished. Everything was as it had been before except with the new system upgrade in place. Hope it works out for you too and your weekend is saved 😉 .

Rick

New iMac fails to boot after cloning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.