Message Center: Detected Virus Notification

Need Help. I am new to Apple computers and have a MacBook Pro. Tonight shorty after I woke up to laptop a notification message appeared that looks real. I clicked on it and said security alert. My Mac is at risk of being infected by a virus. There is a Scan button and I clicked it. After it ran it ended up at a place where it wanted me to purchase Mcafee anti-virus software. This notification keeps appearing. Is my laptop infected? What do I do?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.4

Posted on May 27, 2023 8:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2023 8:21 PM

Don't click on things unless you are certain about what you are clicking on. That is simply a notification from an external third party web site that is made to look like it is coming from your Mac system. They are trying to get you to buy something.

The Trojan virus cannot infect a Mac running Ventura. It can't because the MacOS is kept in a sealed read-only volume. Only Apple's certified installers can update or change it. Even you, the owner of the computer, cannot.

Don't install McAfee.

Try this. In Safari, go to Settings, select Websites, go to Notifications. Select all the items there, and click Remove button below to eliminate them. Then exit Settings. Quit Safari. Restart your Mac. Are the Notifications gone?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2023 8:21 PM in response to ray-mar

Don't click on things unless you are certain about what you are clicking on. That is simply a notification from an external third party web site that is made to look like it is coming from your Mac system. They are trying to get you to buy something.

The Trojan virus cannot infect a Mac running Ventura. It can't because the MacOS is kept in a sealed read-only volume. Only Apple's certified installers can update or change it. Even you, the owner of the computer, cannot.

Don't install McAfee.

Try this. In Safari, go to Settings, select Websites, go to Notifications. Select all the items there, and click Remove button below to eliminate them. Then exit Settings. Quit Safari. Restart your Mac. Are the Notifications gone?

Aug 23, 2023 6:54 AM in response to steve626

I'm experiencing this as well.

I'm not clear what you mean when you say "In Safari, go to Settings, select Websites, go to Notifications. Select all the items there, and click Remove button below to eliminate them."

If I have the safari app open, and click on the safari tab in the menu at the top of the screen, I do not have a 'settings' option, just a 'settings for this website' option for the webpage which is open.

So can you explain where I need to go, so I can resolve this virus popup issue please?

Thank you so much.

Message Center: Detected Virus Notification

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.