my 2022 ipad air keeps disconnecting from wifi. this does not happen to ANY. other device, so it has to be a problem with the ipad. how do i fix?

Basically the title covers it. I have a 5th gen iPad Air which I have owned for about 5 months. I love it, but it randomly disconnects from wifi about every 20-30 minutes, and I have to go back into the wifi settings to reselect my network. I have seen many similar questions and the answers suggest it’s an issue with the router, but this does not occur on any other device I have so it’s clearly an issue with the iPad. This has occurred on multiple networks. My iPad might not be up to date right now, but it has been in the past and even then it has not prevented the error from occurring. What the f word?

iPad Air (5th generation)

Posted on May 27, 2023 10:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2023 2:28 AM

If the iPad disconnects when idle (sleep/locked) you may need to verify the your WiFi Settings for each of your configured WiFi Networks - ensuring that they are set to Auto Join:

Settings > WiFi > [WiFi Network / SSID] - tap the “i” icon - set Auto-Join to ON

Unless Auto-Join is enabled, your iPad will not automatically reconnect to the WiFi network when resuming from sleep - or when coming into range of your WiFi network.

Auto-Join is enabled/disabled for each configured WiFi network.

Don’t forget, your iPad may drop its WiFi connection whenever the screen locks due to inactivity - which may be as short as two minutes:

Settings > Display & Brightness > Auto-Lock

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2023 2:28 AM in response to Chilledwolf

If the iPad disconnects when idle (sleep/locked) you may need to verify the your WiFi Settings for each of your configured WiFi Networks - ensuring that they are set to Auto Join:

Settings > WiFi > [WiFi Network / SSID] - tap the “i” icon - set Auto-Join to ON

Unless Auto-Join is enabled, your iPad will not automatically reconnect to the WiFi network when resuming from sleep - or when coming into range of your WiFi network.

Auto-Join is enabled/disabled for each configured WiFi network.

Don’t forget, your iPad may drop its WiFi connection whenever the screen locks due to inactivity - which may be as short as two minutes:

Settings > Display & Brightness > Auto-Lock

my 2022 ipad air keeps disconnecting from wifi. this does not happen to ANY. other device, so it has to be a problem with the ipad. how do i fix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.