Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

"Password reset" notification constantly popping up on Mac?

I recently reset my AppleID password, but my Mac is constantly receiving "Password reset" notifications every time I unlock it.

I am confident that my account is not trying to be compromised as I reset my password myself. How can I get my Mac to stop showing this notification?

Posted on May 28, 2023 3:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2023 5:32 PM

Getting similar notifications non-stop. Even after updating password. Also when it says "A password reset request was sent from a device at the location shown below." when i click "Show" it just takes me to System Preferences Apple ID page and does not show any specific location. Maybe this is a new security bug?

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2023 5:32 PM in response to PRM_

Getting similar notifications non-stop. Even after updating password. Also when it says "A password reset request was sent from a device at the location shown below." when i click "Show" it just takes me to System Preferences Apple ID page and does not show any specific location. Maybe this is a new security bug?

Apr 14, 2024 10:34 AM in response to Michael_Yung

This starting happening to me recently. Scared me at first thinking it was a hacking attempt but they just annoyed me for days. So I recalled what changed since it started happening. First, no changes on my Mac Mini. BUT I did login to my AppleID on my wife's MacBook Air through a separate User account on it. I figured that had to be the cause. So I logged back in to it then logged out of that profile, not my iCloud/AppleID, but the macOS User account on the MacBook. And to my relief the "password reset" notifications stopped on my Mac Mini!

I encountered this once before and it was a similar cause. Then I wiped my old Mac Pro 2009 and logged into my iCloud account on it.

May 28, 2023 8:20 AM in response to PRM_

PRM_ wrote:

I recently reset my AppleID password, but my Mac is constantly receiving "Password reset" notifications every time I unlock it.

I am confident that my account is not trying to be compromised as I reset my password myself. How can I get my Mac to stop showing this notification?

Check your >System Settings>AppleID if you need to acknowledge some change there.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/reset-your-mac-login-password-mh35902/mac

"Password reset" notification constantly popping up on Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.