Which OS is best for a 2017 MacBook Pro in terms of performance and reliability?

Hi,

Currently running macOS 11.7.7 on my 2017 MacBook Pro Dual-Core Intel Core i7 3.5 GHz.

I know newer OSs have various bells and whistles. But I believe they are mainly geared to newer processors.

Would upgrading provide me any performance or reliability benefits?

If so, which is the best version to go with for me?

Thanks!

John

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 28, 2023 8:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2023 8:01 PM

I advise my customer that if it works, stay there. Also if you do not have a SSD installed (anyone running Mojave or above) you are missing out on fast performance. Perhaps you already have a PCIe SSD? Either version available to 4TB storage. Ventura is OK (& Sonoma) if the new way they work is Ok for you. Otherwise stay at Monterey. we service tons of MBP, MBA and iMacs and can get them running very well. Our clients are Graphic Designers, Photographers, Artists,Musicians, etc. Have fun! While the M1, M2 and M3s are the new Apple silicon, the 2017s and higher are still great units.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2023 8:01 PM in response to Mcfugu

I advise my customer that if it works, stay there. Also if you do not have a SSD installed (anyone running Mojave or above) you are missing out on fast performance. Perhaps you already have a PCIe SSD? Either version available to 4TB storage. Ventura is OK (& Sonoma) if the new way they work is Ok for you. Otherwise stay at Monterey. we service tons of MBP, MBA and iMacs and can get them running very well. Our clients are Graphic Designers, Photographers, Artists,Musicians, etc. Have fun! While the M1, M2 and M3s are the new Apple silicon, the 2017s and higher are still great units.

May 28, 2023 10:53 AM in response to dialabrain

Thanks dialabrain.

In the past, I have experienced that my computer actually ran slower after an upgrade. This has not always been the case.

As Apple has switched to a different processor platform, I'm concerned that with Apple prioritizing the new processor, a new OS might actually run slower on my older processor.

But you believe that is not the case with an upgrade from Big Sur to Ventura on my machine?

Which OS is best for a 2017 MacBook Pro in terms of performance and reliability?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.