Microsoft Office on iMac

I bought the Microsoft Office Home & Student Application to add to my iMac. When I put in the Product key it was saved as: "OfficeSetup.exe" now I'm not able to access it on my iMac, it says "Microsoft Windows applications are not supported on macOS" I did buy this application at the Apple Store. What can I do now?

iMac 24″, macOS 13.2

Posted on May 28, 2023 9:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2023 10:38 AM

It sounds like you bought a physical box with a product key inside at a retail Apple Store, then went to a Microsoft site and downloaded the installer for Microsoft Office for Windows. The ".exe" is a giveaway that you downloaded the Windows installer (which is, itself, a Windows program).

What you need to do is to go to the Microsoft site and download the Macintosh installer – which according to this Microsoft Support document, probably has a name that ends in ".pkg". Run that installer ... then jump through the hoops to enter the product key and do DRM "activation". Then you should be all set.

If you have any further questions, I would suggest contacting Microsoft Support.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/download-and-install-or-reinstall-microsoft-365-or-office-2021-on-a-pc-or-mac-4414eaaf-0478-48be-9c42-23adc4716658

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2023 10:38 AM in response to gudfinna54

It sounds like you bought a physical box with a product key inside at a retail Apple Store, then went to a Microsoft site and downloaded the installer for Microsoft Office for Windows. The ".exe" is a giveaway that you downloaded the Windows installer (which is, itself, a Windows program).

What you need to do is to go to the Microsoft site and download the Macintosh installer – which according to this Microsoft Support document, probably has a name that ends in ".pkg". Run that installer ... then jump through the hoops to enter the product key and do DRM "activation". Then you should be all set.

If you have any further questions, I would suggest contacting Microsoft Support.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/download-and-install-or-reinstall-microsoft-365-or-office-2021-on-a-pc-or-mac-4414eaaf-0478-48be-9c42-23adc4716658

Microsoft Office on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.