Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Gmail account using Mac mail on iPhone 14 Pro not syncing to Gmail or Mac mail on laptop

Changes in Gmail on iPhone using Mac mail app not syncing with Gmail account or on Mac laptop

I have been traveling for eight days and just using my iPhone to manage my email while I was traveling. I use the Mac mail app on my iPhone, with a Gmail account. I just came home and my Mac mail account on my laptop suddenly filled up with 900 unread messages and when I went to look at my Gmail account online it also shows 900 unread messages--these are all emails I have already read or deleted on my iPhone.

Have already called Apple (they won't help b/c it's Gmail) and have read numerous support documents about changing the fetch/push settings, and looking at IMAP (which is on), my outgoing SMTP is set to the Gmail SMTP server. I have turned my Mail account on and off in my iPhone.

I just can't find a way to get my iPhone email changes synced to my laptop or Gmail. Desperate to not have to go through everything again.

If I delete a message on my laptop or on Gmail in my browser, the changes are reflected elsewhere (on my iPhone's Mac mail, and in Gmail, and Mac mail on my laptop), but any changes on my iPhone aren't synced out. HELP.

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on May 28, 2023 4:38 PM

7 replies

May 29, 2023 12:54 AM in response to birichina

Connecting to Wi-Fi is the initial step, followed by establishing an internet connection.

However, it's important to note that connecting to Wi-Fi does not automatically guarantee an internet connection. In the event that you are unable to connect to Wi-Fi, the issue may stem from settings on your iPhone or the router/modem.

On the other hand, if you are unable to establish an internet connection despite being connected to Wi-Fi, the problem is likely related to the settings on your router/modem. In such cases, it is advisable to promptly contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) for assistance.

Check your WiFi Router / Modem for --> Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points ...

For your Internet connection.

• Over Cellular: contact your Carrier (Cellular Service Provider). The agency that issued the SIM to you
  • Over WiFI: Contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider), the agency that provided the Internet Service on your Modem/Router to you

However --> Connect iPhone to the Internet - Apple Support

May 29, 2023 12:53 AM in response to birichina

These don't sync between devices Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, Notes, Voice Memosshared photosiCloud Photos, and emails. Each device syncs to the email account server which may be Google, iCloud, AOL, Exchange, Outlook, Yahoo, or any Other. Please see the pic below

If one of the devices is not connected to the internet then it may seem to you that they are not syncing.

May 29, 2023 10:37 AM in response to birichina

Email never syncs device to device; it syncs to the email server, and each device that accesses the server normally stays in sync with the server. It sounds like you deleted emails from your phone while traveling, but your phone’s outgoing server was not connected to Google’s gmail server, so it did not know that you had deleted emails from the phone. Can you send a gmail message from your phone to a non-gmail account now that you are home? If you can the deleted mail should eventually catch up. Leave your phone on and plugged in.

Gmail account using Mac mail on iPhone 14 Pro not syncing to Gmail or Mac mail on laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.