Will lost mode work without a sim card?

My iphone got left in a taxi, and the taxi driver has said he didn't find it when he looked. Either he geninely didn't find it (he's overlooking it, I know I had it in the taxi and didn't have it after i left the taxi) or he's decided to keep it. My problem is that because I was traveling abroad I happened to not have the sim card in it. So it only works on my wifi network and maybe some public network or something that i've used previously. So it will never show up on find my iphone again. I put the lost mode on because I wanted it to block someone from resetting and selling it, but will that stop someone from doing that if they never connect to a wifi network until AFTER they reset it?

Posted on May 29, 2023 4:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2023 4:31 AM

To reinforce KiltedTim’s spot-on recommendation … keep this phone “on” your AppleID for eternity.

(Both in FindMy and at https://appleid.apple.com/ )

Removing it from your account will make it “serviceable” as a working phone again.

As is … it’s only economic value is for parts.

2 replies

May 29, 2023 4:13 AM in response to Patrick Foy

As long as you don't remove the device from the list in Find My, it will be activate locked and unusable.

Do NOT fall for a message from Apple saying it has been located and prompting you to log it. Apple does not send out messages like that. Any such message is a phishing attempt to steal your credentials so that the thief can remove the activation lock.

Will lost mode work without a sim card?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.