search for malware on imac High Sierra

I clicked on a link in an email to reset a Direct Debit for my TV licence as the latest payment had not been accepted, and it wasn't until I had filled in my personal details and gone to the bank details page that I realised this must be a scam email.

Fortunately, I hadn't entered any bank details, and hadn't clicked on 'submit', or the equivalent. Reading online comments there are references to not click on any links, as it can download malware.

Contacting Action Fraud Helpline they suggested I take my iMac to a computer repair shop, but I would prefer to follow an alternative route, if possible :

What signs should I look for in the way my iMac performs that indicates malware. Also, I see there are free Mac antivirus available, such as Antivirus One and Total AV.

Any advice on malware signs or antivirus recommendations gratefully received.

Thanks.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 29, 2023 10:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2023 10:30 AM

Clicking on a link would not install malware. If that could happen, macOS would be awash in malware.

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

As for add-on anti-malware or add-on cleaner apps, I’d avoid those. The built-in anti-malware does well. (In one recent case, the built-in anti-malware prevented an error in add-on anti-malware from corrupting macOS itself.)

In general: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community

I would update to newer macOS here roo, if that iMac supports it.

iMac late 2012 and newer can get to macOS 10.14, for instance.

How to download macOS - Apple Support

The low-end hard disk drive iMac models can have performance issues, and an external SSD can help there:

Why is my hard disk drive iMac so slow? - Apple Community (why, and including a link to a work-around)

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2023 10:30 AM in response to ringnib

Clicking on a link would not install malware. If that could happen, macOS would be awash in malware.

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

As for add-on anti-malware or add-on cleaner apps, I’d avoid those. The built-in anti-malware does well. (In one recent case, the built-in anti-malware prevented an error in add-on anti-malware from corrupting macOS itself.)

In general: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community

I would update to newer macOS here roo, if that iMac supports it.

iMac late 2012 and newer can get to macOS 10.14, for instance.

How to download macOS - Apple Support

The low-end hard disk drive iMac models can have performance issues, and an external SSD can help there:

Why is my hard disk drive iMac so slow? - Apple Community (why, and including a link to a work-around)

May 29, 2023 6:55 PM in response to Servant of Cats

Servant of Cats wrote:

You could download the free version of…

I’d suggest not. Issues with phishing are unlikely to be resolved with add-on apps.

Adding apps intended for unrelated purposes—clicking on phishing links does not download and install apps—can introduce issues, too.

Worse, some of the add-on anti-malware apps will find and report non-existent problems, and that’s when the app is not advertising itself.

macOS is not immune to malware.

But there’s little reason to send out a phishing mail that prompts for sensitive data, if “merely” clicking on a link can itself load the malware. (It cannot.)

search for malware on imac High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.