Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Pop up notice about system infected on my computer after logging on to a website every 15 minutes

I listed a camera on eBay and a bidder asked a question about the # of images and gave me a web site to verify it.

I went to it and another screen popped up about a request to buy virus software.

I immediately closed it out.

Unfortunately every 15 minutes a notice in the upper right hand corner of my Mac Studio shows a notice of with banners like "System Mac OS is infected", Gmail is infected, etc

Nothing seems to have changed in my using the computer.

I have tried : restart, shutting down, Disk Utility repair, file fault and it keeps showing.

I am old and not the best at this so I need simply directions to what may be a complicated process.

Thanks,

Mac Studio, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 29, 2023 11:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2023 11:55 AM

If these are sliding in the from the top right of the screen, a site you visited has given itself permission to send push notifications. Everything you're seeing is nothing but a scam.

Open Safari's preferences. Click on the Websites tab and then scroll down to Notifications. Clear any entries in the right hand window. You might find something similar in the Pop-up Windows heading below that. Block any you don't recognize.

Then if you want, uncheck the box below as shown here.

I personally can't think of any reason why I would ever want any website to push notices to me.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2023 11:55 AM in response to Gregory Lamont

If these are sliding in the from the top right of the screen, a site you visited has given itself permission to send push notifications. Everything you're seeing is nothing but a scam.

Open Safari's preferences. Click on the Websites tab and then scroll down to Notifications. Clear any entries in the right hand window. You might find something similar in the Pop-up Windows heading below that. Block any you don't recognize.

Then if you want, uncheck the box below as shown here.

I personally can't think of any reason why I would ever want any website to push notices to me.

May 29, 2023 12:25 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Thanks guys, I really, really appreciated the answers.

Now, if only you had a miracle cure to get rid of the spam I get in my ATT email accounts, I have three and I stopped using them and went to gmail which I guess has very good filters or the spammers have not caught unto these accounts yet, LLOL

I have tried changing settings in the mail preferences and accounts and nothing works that I can figure out.

Again, thank you very much,

Greg

Pop up notice about system infected on my computer after logging on to a website every 15 minutes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.