Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

iPad Air camera quality

I just upgraded from an iPad Air gen 3 to the 5 and I noticed that the camera quality is awful. It’s not that iPad camera quality in general is just bad, my old iPad was totally serviceable. The new camera is incredibly grainy and all photos come out looking dark regardless of lighting conditions or whether the flash is on. I called apple support and they couldn’t find anything wrong with my camera, and regardless it doesn’t seem broken just really low quality. I have to assume apple started using worse cameras, but I can’t work out why. Does anyone know what is going on?

iPad Air (5th generation)

Posted on May 29, 2023 1:02 PM

1 reply

May 29, 2023 2:50 PM in response to Jdavis33mets

Whilst the front camera of your iPad Air5 has a higher pixel count than many other iPad models, the ultra-wide camera lens reduces the effective resolution. 

The ultra wide front camera features Centre Stage, allowing the iPad to mimic pan and zoom in software; however, image quality of the digitally cropped picture will suffer. Disabling the Centre Stage feature simply provides an ultra-wide camera field - but will not improve the effective resolution of the camera.

iPad Air camera quality

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.