Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Using an iPad Air/Pro as a backup or replacement for a laptop

Hey all, I would like to get some feedback on using an iPad Air as a replacement laptop. Some of us already have work laptops but it is heavy to lug around. What's the opinion on using an iPad Air/Pro to reply emails, do basic word document processes, perhaps some presentation slides etc?

Posted on May 29, 2023 6:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2023 8:29 AM

I thinking of changing from my macbook air to ipad pro. How do I transfer over all the folders, as folders, from the Macbook to the ipad? I don't intend to use my macbook going forward. I would only have the ipad to do all our business functions and attach an external monitor, and printer etc. I'm concerned about the tasks I perform, like minor Illustrator and photoshop editing. The versions I use of Adobe are the CC versions.

My main concern is my 340GB of files stored in various folders.

Any advice is helpful.

Jennifer

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2023 8:29 AM in response to LotusPilot

I thinking of changing from my macbook air to ipad pro. How do I transfer over all the folders, as folders, from the Macbook to the ipad? I don't intend to use my macbook going forward. I would only have the ipad to do all our business functions and attach an external monitor, and printer etc. I'm concerned about the tasks I perform, like minor Illustrator and photoshop editing. The versions I use of Adobe are the CC versions.

My main concern is my 340GB of files stored in various folders.

Any advice is helpful.

Jennifer

May 30, 2023 6:36 AM in response to sMich7

For many, an iPad is a perfectly viable standalone alternative to a traditional laptop computer - although, depending upon the iPad model, many might recommend using an Apple Magic or folio keyboard, or external bluetooth keyboard and mouse/trackpad.

iOS/iPadOS Apps, both Apple and third-party, provide the same or similar capabilities as their traditional Windows PC and Mac counterparts - although some may be more limited in their more advanced functions and capabilities.

If considering an iPad Air as a replacement for a laptop computer, if your budget will stretch, perhaps consider an iPad Pro. These models have more RAM (essential for performance) and larger screens (always useful when composing of reading documents) - and include additional capabilities for connection of an external monitor.

While desktop monitors can be very useful, many modern portable monitors (typically 15.6”) support direct connection via USB-C; 4K Portable monitors have pixel density that are very similar to that of the iPad - and will be just as sharp. The current models of iPad Pro support monitors up to 6K resolution.

Speaking personally, as a user of a fifth generation iPad Pro 12.9, even as an advanced user this is now my preferred “go to workhorse” for the vast majority of tasks. I now tend to only use a laptop or full desktop system for the few tasks that the iPad cannot accomplish - these generally being connection of external devices that are fundamentally not supported by iOS/iPadOS.

May 30, 2023 5:38 AM in response to sMich7

I found that if I want to type for an extended period of time on my iPad, it was very helpful to use an external Bluetooth keyboard. After I started using the keyboard, I wanted the functionality of a mouse or trackpad, so I added a Magic Mouse. Now I was carrying the iPad, keyboard and mouse and - although lighter in weight than a laptop - I was carrying more items to comfortably accomplish the same task. I'm only offering my perspective. Hope it helps.

Feb 1, 2024 1:35 AM in response to sauce goddess

Jennifer, for the 340 GB of files you can always use the Apple cloud. This should not be a problem. You'll pay an insignificant monthly fee.

I am interested if you made the switch and if you're happy with it. I want to go too from laptop to iPad pro and just like you I would like to know if I can use Adobe products in the same way.

Please, let me know.

Ioan

Apr 6, 2024 10:38 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Much less capable! Microsoft Excel is the biggest offender that I have had experience with but there are others. Also some websites do not handle the mobile device well even if you request desktop site. I have been trying to cut the cord for years, and I have the latest iPad air, Magic Keyboard, and Apple Pencil 2. Can’t do it. At least once every few weeks I have to turn to my MBA. It’s very frustrating.

Also my productivity is just not nearly as good with iPad as with laptop. Even though I have a keyboard. iPad is a more intimate experience, but if you want to go fast, it doesn’t measure up.

Multitasking is a special weakness, and the poor concept of Apple’s several attempts to implement it lead me not expect it to get much better any time soon if at all.

If you can stick to Apple products, and your web-based sites have good mobile apps you’ll probably be fine. But yes, do get a BT keyboard.

Mar 18, 2024 3:57 PM in response to Cobberboy

Other than making supposition that a new model iPad Pro will likely surpass the current models impressive specifications and capabilities, I cannot provide any comment concerning unreleased/unannounced new products.

Consider that the current sixth generation iPad Pro 12.9" is already a powerhouse - and you may find some really good deals are available for the existing model if/when a replacement model is launched.

As for offering advice concerning your Mac, I believe you have already reached your own conclusion. Clearly its residual value will reduce at time moves on.

Per my original comments within this thread, I have already made the iPad Pro my primary device for all but the few tasks that it cannot perform. Perhaps this offers affirmation, should it be required, but only you can make the decision as to suitability for your needs.

Feb 27, 2024 10:38 AM in response to sMich7

I have a gen 8 iPad nothing special, I use it with a logic keyboard as recommended and attach a 1TB flash drive via a camera adapter. Although using I cloud it has already become largely redundant.

It is absolutely excellent set up and I can work almost anywhere. It is possible to pull in items over the main screen and some apps will share the screen. It can only improve.

I still haven’t made the final leap but i doubt I will replace my iMac as i am using it less and less.

Setting my sights on an M2 iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard.

Mar 18, 2024 1:10 PM in response to LotusPilot

Dear Lotus Pilot - I had a 27 inch iMac for many many years, the 2015 model I think, and it has been (was) my absolute workhorse.

But recently, I decided to upgrade to a MacBook Pro 14 inch with an M1 processor.

Prior to this purchase I also updated my iPad to the present generation iPad Air with an M1 processor - which seriously surprised me. I mean literally all aspects of it.

I think I have made a big mistake, as I am using the literally spotless laptop less and less – sometimes it sits for weeks, not being used where the iPad gets used every day.

I am now a ‘retired’ production designer, and take full advantage of the drawing, rendering and creative ‘directness’ that comes with the advantages of a touchscreen and Apple Pencil 2.

I gradually graduated to attaching a Wacom to the iMac many years ago.

My question after reading your response to the earlier inquiry.

Do you think (as I am beginning to) that I may have wasted my money (as I am now on a much stricter budget) on buying the 14 inch M1 MacBook Pro (to replace in my old Intel ‘maxed out’ 27 inch iMac? – which was an amazing machine for quite some time -even as it did eventually slow down to a crawl – with a lot of waiting + the gradual appearance of the “spinning paella of death”???

I also have the original iPad pro first version which is still operating fine as had the battery replaced by a great company I found in Sydney Australia - which was not cheap, but it was definitely worth it.

I am wondering whether you could advise me of whether ‘my idea’ of biting the bullet and selling the MacBook Pro M1 before it gets too superseded - and also sell the iPad Air (fifth generation) - and possibly migrate the two into on multiuse - new - next or about to be announced iPadOS device with the largest screen that I have on my original iPad Pro version one??🤔

Using an iPad Air/Pro as a backup or replacement for a laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.