Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

ios 16 push notifications using all my mobile data

I'm on ios 16.4.1 (a)

I have run out of mobile data on my plan only half way through the month.

When I checked my mobile data usage the statistics were gathered over the last 2 years of so, so I have reset my mobile usage statistics 12 minutes ago.

Now when I check the usage I see "Push notifications" using 1mb of data (in 12 minutes) yet I have had no notifications. No other application has registered any usage.

And when I click "System Services"

At this rate Push Notifications is using about 150mb of data every day, and if I am away from home it is using my mobile plan data.

iPhone 12 mini

Posted on May 29, 2023 7:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2024 7:20 AM

I am still having this issue on iPhone 12 running 17.2.1

Similar questions

8 replies

May 29, 2023 10:46 PM in response to SravanKrA

Did you actually read what I wrote???

I clearly stated this was data for a 12 minute period. I simply extrapolated to assume that this usage would consume ~150mb per day.

We are now about 90 minutes since I reset the statistics and the Push Notifications is now at 4.6mb, which now extrapolates to 184mb per day.

The phone is an iPhone 12 mini (it only has a single sim).

I do have usage data from my mobile plan provider, and I can clearly see many days where around 150mb is being consumed, here is an example. Unfortunately the provider does not provide any additional breakdowns of when or how the data is being used.

The mobile plan provider does not appear to be at fault here, I believe this is clearly a problem with the iPhone or iOS 16.4.

It is very frustrating to have run out of data on a plan because of a problem with an Apple product.

It is even more frustrating when I can't find any solution.

I thought I would post here first to see if anybody else has similar experiences before I contact Apple support.

Cheers

Murray

May 29, 2023 10:29 PM in response to murray205

The data provided is for the current period and not for the day.

Have you ever wondered the following:

• 150 MB is for what period?
  • For Dual SIM iPhones, which SIM represents this data when you have enabled "Allow Mobile Data Switching"
  • What is the Current Period and Life Time? This is set by your Carrier Setting.
  • Why you do not have SIM wise Data consumption?

For understanding the period for which the data is provided, please look at the Last Reset Date.

Settings > Mobile Data > Scroll Down to the Bottom [Reset Statistics Section] Look at the date:

1. Current Period: This refers to the specific time frame for which your data usage is being monitored and tracked. The duration of the current period depends on your iPhone's settings and can typically be set to monthly, weekly, or customized intervals. The current period allows you to monitor your data usage within a specific time frame, which is useful if you have a limited data plan or want to keep track of your usage. (Set by Carrier Seetings based on the SIM)
  2. Life Time: On the other hand, "Life Time" represents the total amount of data you have consumed on your iPhone since you started using it or since the last time the counter was reset. It accumulates all the data usage from the beginning of your device's usage or from the last reset, without any specific time limitations. Life Time is a cumulative measurement of your data usage over the entire lifespan of your iPhone, regardless of the current monitoring period.

So, to summarize, Current Period tracks your data usage within a specific time frame, while Life Time represents the cumulative data usage since the beginning or the last reset of your device.

May 31, 2023 12:51 AM in response to murray205

Hi, I have exactly the same problem. My sons iPhone 14 has started after installing 16.5 consuming large quantities of mobile data for push notifications.....I have reset statistics for 4 days in a row, switched all push notifications OFF and still even overnight when connected to home WIFI the phone by itself consumes mobile data (System Data) for Push notifications up to 250MB per NIGHT!!! I called Apple already twice, spent over an hour explaining and trouble shooting on this and all they gave me as an answer is that it this data consumption is normal and "could" be caused by Parental Screen Time which is enabled on my sons iPhone and this is as per Apple using mobile data even when on WIFI?!?!?!

I am so frustrated that there is no control over data consumption and Apple is giving vague explanation and telling me that the I could try Factory reset but its unlikely it will solve this as the consumption by push notification is normal!!!!......I hope someone from Apple will look into this and FIX this bug

Aug 11, 2023 8:55 PM in response to Karoliv

We have the same problem that started around the same time —- early June. Have been to apple Genius Bar twice and they kept on claiming it was Cellular provider. Consulted with cellular provider and they are spoofed by the push notifications especially since we have everything turned off and only use the phone to talk. We have similar problem with Apple Watch. The watch is now in for service as it wouldn’t even respond to apple Genius Bar diagnostic tool.

Apple Genius Bar finally told us that this issue with excessive data usage by push notifications coming from nowhere is a “Known Issue” and that Apple is working on a solution. But, that doesn’t help us now and who knows when and if they will find a solution.

It is extremely frustrating to have a 1 1/2 year old phone with Apple Care under warranty (even if it were not under Apple Care) that is essentially useless as if we turn it on, it eats up data without our even using it. While we were at Apple Store, it was on but not in use and it consumed .1 GB doing nothing and all were System Services and the services were Push Notifications.

I think there is a bug that causes a loop that won’t stop.

It is frustrating that Apple is not transparent and does not notify customers about these known issues and that customers have to bring in all kinds of documentation (data usage logs) in order to be listened to.

Apple Support is really the worst support I have ever experienced anywhere.

ios 16 push notifications using all my mobile data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.