Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Personal HotSpot takes inordinate amount of

I have a Apple iphone SE 3rd Generation. When I try to use a personal hotspot on my Mobile Phone it takes in excess of 5 minutes for the Hotspot to become visible to other devices. Sometimes even after 15 minutes the personal Hotspot is not visible to other devices. How do I fix this issue?

My Personal Hotspot name is not iPhone but it is a customised value.

I have reset Network twice already and still the same issue occurs.

I have enabled the option, Maximise Compatibility.

iPhone SE

Posted on May 30, 2023 5:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2023 6:40 AM

Despite your attempts at various methods, you have not provided the information on how did you change to name of Hotspot on an iPhone to customised value. This is because the iPhone's name is chosen as the Hotspot SSID automatically.

Please see the pic below to make it clearer that Hotspot is enabled by a Carrier on one SIM and not by the other Carrier in the same iPhone (Dual SIM).

Use these steps first

Restart the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot and the other device that needs to connect to Personal Hotspot. Make sure that you have the latest version of iOS. On the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot, go to Settings > General > Reset, then tap Reset Network Settings.

If Personal Hotspot is not working on your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi

Also, check the following

1. Network coverage and stability
  2. Data Balance
  3. On your windows (See if WiFi Auto Joins is enabled)
  4. Also, check if you have any stronger WiFi signal around your computer.

Ask the Carrier to change the SIM if nothing works.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2023 6:40 AM in response to MahiTapti1

Despite your attempts at various methods, you have not provided the information on how did you change to name of Hotspot on an iPhone to customised value. This is because the iPhone's name is chosen as the Hotspot SSID automatically.

Please see the pic below to make it clearer that Hotspot is enabled by a Carrier on one SIM and not by the other Carrier in the same iPhone (Dual SIM).

Use these steps first

Restart the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot and the other device that needs to connect to Personal Hotspot. Make sure that you have the latest version of iOS. On the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot, go to Settings > General > Reset, then tap Reset Network Settings.

If Personal Hotspot is not working on your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi

Also, check the following

1. Network coverage and stability
  2. Data Balance
  3. On your windows (See if WiFi Auto Joins is enabled)
  4. Also, check if you have any stronger WiFi signal around your computer.

Ask the Carrier to change the SIM if nothing works.

May 30, 2023 6:50 AM in response to MahiTapti1

My iPhone and iPad re-scan for available networks each 13 seconds or so, when the Wi-Fi Settings screen is open. My iPad detects my iPhone hotspot within such a scan. Other devices may have other intervals.

It seems unusual that devices take very long to find hotspots.

My Personal Hotspot name is not iPhone but it is a customised value.

When the iPhone acts as the hotspot, then the hotspot name reflects the device name, for the built-in iPhone Hotspot feature. Settings﹥General﹥About﹥Name﹥. It can be pretty much anything, including spaces, including many special characters (UTF-8), although other connecting devices may be more conservative, and want regular ASCII safe characters with a few exclusions.

How to set up a Personal Hotspot on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If Personal Hotspot is not working on your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular) - Apple Support

What other devices did you try to connect?

Of these, what year is the oldest model device from?

Jun 1, 2023 9:59 PM in response to SravanKrA

Hi SravanKra,

The name of the WiFi Hotspot has been changed by going to Settings > General > About > Name.

After looking at your screenshots it appears that you had two sims active on your phone. I have only one and for that Cellular network I have enabled Roaming On and in Mobile Data Options as well as the option Personal Hotspot is On.

The SIM is not an issue, because I have put the same SIM in an android phone and the Personal Hotspot is visible in fraction of a second to other devices when it switched on, no delay. In case of iPhone SE 3 that is not the case.

As I have already said earlier I have already tried to Reset Network connection and still the issue persists.

For Network coverage and stability

part when I turn on the Personal Hotspot I have 4 bars and 4G symbol. That seems to be fine

I have sufficient Data Balance. Right now I have a excess of 20 GB Data available in my account.

On your windows the WiFi Auto Joins is enabled. But this can only help when the iPhone SE broadcasts the WiFi Personal Hotspot SSID. Which it does after more than 5 minutes.

I do not have you have any stronger WiFi signal around your computer with the same SSID. I have observed though that the iPhone SE tends to use the WiFi Band num 6 when it transmits as WiFi Personal Hotspot.

—————————-

Have a great pleasant day

Jun 1, 2023 9:53 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Hi Urquhart1244,

I have tried to check the hotspot availability on both Android as well as Windows laptop, the laptop being only a year old and made by a reputable US firm. The android phone is running Android 13, is a mid range phone with a little over 2 years old. In both of the cases the WiFi appears in the list of available network after more than 5 minutes. For example just before I started typing this response I turned on the Personal Hotspot and still the WiFi is not visible on either Android and Windows Laptop.

This seems to be a problem with Apple software itself. Especially the Hotspot part of it.

————————————-

Have a pleasant day

Personal HotSpot takes inordinate amount of

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.