I can't open/save Airdrop photos directly to the photos app from my iPhone to MacBook Pro (2017)

I used to be able to open/save airdrop photos directly to the photos app from my iPhone to MacBook Pro (2017), but recently have only been able to open airdropped photos in the downloads folder which gets rid of the possibility of Live Photo editing. Any ideas on how to fix this? Both devices are updated to the latest iOS.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.4

Posted on May 30, 2023 11:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2023 4:00 PM

peachyee wrote:

I used to be able to open/save airdrop photos directly to the photos app from my iPhone to MacBook Pro (2017), but recently have only been able to open airdropped photos in the downloads folder which gets rid of the possibility of Live Photo editing. Any ideas on how to fix this? Both devices are updated to the latest iOS.

Photo stream allows you to sync photos between devices...

ref: My Photo Stream - Apple Support

moving forward see: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

If you go to share a photo on your iOS device directly from the Photo.app— I see "Options" Verify you have this toggled on

If Airdrop no longer supports your desire—you can /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2023 4:00 PM in response to peachyee

peachyee wrote:

Photo stream allows you to sync photos between devices...

ref: My Photo Stream - Apple Support

moving forward see: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

If you go to share a photo on your iOS device directly from the Photo.app— I see "Options" Verify you have this toggled on

If Airdrop no longer supports your desire—you can /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

May 30, 2023 5:52 PM in response to peachyee

You do have to do this on every AirDrop as the setting does not stick. It seems to only be a problem when the iPhone and the Mac use the same Apple ID, since there is no Accept/Decline notification when the ID is the same.

When Airdropping from an iPhone where the ID is not the same as the Mac, the accept/decline notification appears and you can choose the Accept drop down menu and select Photos.

May 30, 2023 9:43 PM in response to APPLEAL

Nope! You can Airdrop Live Photos as described above, just have to choose All Photos Data option in the pic that is provided when sending to Mac with same Apple ID. When sending from device with different Apple ID, all the receiver needs to do is choose the Accept dropdown on the Mac to choose Photos.

iCloud Photos is NOT needed.

No direct connection needed.

I can't open/save Airdrop photos directly to the photos app from my iPhone to MacBook Pro (2017)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.