Just found a couple of iPod Shuffles - are they still usable???

I just found these two ipod shuffles recently. I plugged them in. I didn't know itunes wasn't used anymore, so I used the Music app. It recognizes the devices, but didn't play any of the music on it. Are they useless now?

any experts out there? Thanks.

Posted on May 30, 2023 4:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2023 10:50 PM

• If you are using a Windows computer, or a Mac with OS Mojave (10:14) or earlier, iTunes is still used
  • If you are using a Mac with OS Catalina (10:15) or later, then you use Finder to manage your iPod

In either case, you cannot use the computer to play the content of the iPod. Instead, use the iPod itself with headphones, as it is meant to be used.

To change the content of the iPod, use iTunes or Finder (as appropriate) to delete the previous content and to add new music. However, if the battery in the iPod is worn out, the iPod may not charge, which would make it unusable. If the battery is okay, then the iPod should be useable.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2023 10:50 PM in response to Deyang23

• If you are using a Windows computer, or a Mac with OS Mojave (10:14) or earlier, iTunes is still used
  • If you are using a Mac with OS Catalina (10:15) or later, then you use Finder to manage your iPod

In either case, you cannot use the computer to play the content of the iPod. Instead, use the iPod itself with headphones, as it is meant to be used.

To change the content of the iPod, use iTunes or Finder (as appropriate) to delete the previous content and to add new music. However, if the battery in the iPod is worn out, the iPod may not charge, which would make it unusable. If the battery is okay, then the iPod should be useable.

Just found a couple of iPod Shuffles - are they still usable???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.