how to remove extra login names ?

On one of my MacBooks, I have 2 extra login accounts that show on the login screen every time I reboot.

I'm running Monterey 12.6.6 on this MacBook

How do I eliminate them?

thanks,

tom

Posted on May 30, 2023 8:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2023 10:09 PM

The login screen can show sharing-only accounts, but these don’t appear in the regular Users & Groups panel in System Preferences.

You can try to remove these accounts using the Terminal and the dscl (Directory Service command line utility) command. Here’s how to do it:

1. Open Terminal: You can do this by going to Finder > Applications > Utilities > Terminal.

2. List Users: Enter the following command to list all users:

dscl . list /Users

2. This will display a list of all user accounts, including system accounts. Look for the usernames that match the ones you want to delete.

3. Delete Users: If you find the usernames you want to delete, use the following command to delete them, replacing “username” with the actual username:

sudo dscl . delete /Users/username

3. You will be asked to enter your admin password as this command requires administrative rights.

Caution: Be very careful when deleting user accounts using Terminal. If you delete the wrong account, it could cause issues with your system.

After you’ve deleted the accounts, restart your Mac and see if they still appear on the login screen.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2023 10:09 PM in response to SausalitoDog

The login screen can show sharing-only accounts, but these don’t appear in the regular Users & Groups panel in System Preferences.

You can try to remove these accounts using the Terminal and the dscl (Directory Service command line utility) command. Here’s how to do it:

1. Open Terminal: You can do this by going to Finder > Applications > Utilities > Terminal.

2. List Users: Enter the following command to list all users:

dscl . list /Users

2. This will display a list of all user accounts, including system accounts. Look for the usernames that match the ones you want to delete.

3. Delete Users: If you find the usernames you want to delete, use the following command to delete them, replacing “username” with the actual username:

sudo dscl . delete /Users/username

3. You will be asked to enter your admin password as this command requires administrative rights.

Caution: Be very careful when deleting user accounts using Terminal. If you delete the wrong account, it could cause issues with your system.

After you’ve deleted the accounts, restart your Mac and see if they still appear on the login screen.

May 30, 2023 9:23 PM in response to SausalitoDog

If these are standard user accounts and you no longer need them, you can delete them using the Users & Groups preferences. Here’s how:

1. Click the Apple icon in the top left corner of your screen.

2. Select “System Preferences.”

3. Click “Users & Groups.”

4. Click the lock icon at the bottom left of the window to make changes (you’ll need to enter your admin password).

5. In the left panel, select the user account you want to delete.

6. Click the “-” (minus) button below the list of users.

7. You’ll see a dialog asking what to do with the home folder for the deleted user. You can choose to save it as a disk image, leave it in place without deleting it, or delete it completely. Choose the option that suits you best.

8. Repeat this for the second account.

If these accounts are not standard user accounts, they might be guest accounts or sharing only accounts.

For a guest account:

1. In “Users & Groups,” select “Guest User.”

2. Uncheck “Allow guests to log in to this computer.”

For sharing only accounts:

1. Open “System Preferences” and then “Sharing.”

2. Select “Remote Login” or “Remote Management” and then remove the users from the “Allow access for” list.

Remember, always be sure you have a backup of any important data from these accounts before deleting them. After they are deleted, the data cannot be recovered.

May 30, 2023 9:49 PM in response to nexusnode

Thanks, Nexus

That didn't work. I have no memory of exactly how this all got started. It was definitely to allow file sharing and one of the iMacs no longer even exists, the other is just a first name for a sharing login.

They no longer (if ever) exist in the Users & Groups dialog, so I can't delete them. My 2 newer Macs do not have them (which doesn't really mean anything but throughout the years I've done many migrations rather than clean installs and thankfully this login problem did not migrate).

I was hoping there was some terminal command I could use to delete them?

thanks for your input

Tom

how to remove extra login names ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.