Losing iMessage when leaving screen before sendingbefore

Where does an unfinished iMessage go if you leave the screen? This doesn’t seem to happen with the Message app. If iMessage opens when I tap my Messages icon, how do I get to the Messages app to prevent losing an unfinished message? I have an iPhone 11

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on May 31, 2023 9:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2023 9:15 AM

You have no control over that, other than to select and copy the partial text. The messages app does not save partially entered posts to storage, it just saves them in RAM. If you then open another app that needs RAM iOS will repurpose the RAM used by the Messages app.

4 replies

Jan 8, 2024 10:30 AM in response to BGSunshine

BGSunshine wrote:

That just happened to me AGAIN! It's EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING. I spent a very long time gathering facts and composing the textthen it gone and nowhere to be found! When I remember, I copy what I have written so far then have it to paste if it disappears. This time I couldn't even paste the beginning part I thought I had copied. Aggrevating!

If you leave the Messages app and the phone needs the memory it is using for other things, it will suspend the app. This may mean that anything not saved will be lost. I would advise that, if you're going to spend lots of time composing a long message, you start it in Notes. It's very easy to use the "share" button in Notes to send something to messages.

Or, even better, use email for long, complex messages.

Losing iMessage when leaving screen before sendingbefore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.