You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

recovery server could not be contacted

Hi there, desperate for some help here please folks. I have erased the HD of my 2018 MacBook Pro which was running Catalina. Went to reinstall the OS but have this message "Recovery server could not be contacted".

My internet connection is fine, I have tried three different wifi's and they all take me through the initial internet recovery page fine. Once it reboots and the macOS Utilities page comes up I get the "Recovery server could not be contacted" when it tries to install High Sierra. I have tried changing the date and time using terminal going back to an old date and and using the correct date and time, neither work.

Unfortunately what I didn't realise is that the security option to block booting from external USB's was enabled so I can't use a bootable drive. I know the old admin password but when I try to enable booting from external USB it says "No administrator was found" as I have erased the HD. I have seen some threads about adding an admin at this point but I have been unable to get any of them to work. Is there any easy way to do this?

When I go on the error log for the OS Installer it says "Target is not convertible to APFS, was called on a APFS disk: This volume is not formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)"

But my HD defo has File System Mac OS Extended (Journaled). So should I retry erasing my HD again? Would it make any difference if I added a partition when erasing the HD?

Any help would be massively appreciated, thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on May 31, 2023 11:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 31, 2023 3:12 PM

Are you using Target Disk Mode?

if you are, (the T key at startup), that makes your hard drive an external hard drive with only the knowledge of the connected computer as to what to install software from. The installer will sensitive to the host's CPU, not the target's CPU. An error of the target could happen in the fashion you describe.

A 2020 MacBook Pro as a host will never allow High Sierra to be installed because the operating system is too old for it.

A 2017 MacBook Pro might allow High Sierra to be installed on a 2009 MacBook Pro set to target, but once booted the 2009 MacBook Pro won't understand what High Sierra is as it is too new for the 2009 MacBook Pro.

Target disk mode may allow High Sierra to be installed on a 2009 MacBook Pro, and boot a 2017 MacBook Pro, but the 2009 MacBook Pro on its own will never support High Sierra.

Any machine with the T key booted is essentially a glorified external hard drive until it tries to boot on its own. Then its CPU will just which OS it is compatible with.

Host machine is the machine linked to the computer that booted with the 'T' key.

Target machine is the machine that booted with the 'T' key.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 31, 2023 3:12 PM in response to Pretty Boy

Are you using Target Disk Mode?

if you are, (the T key at startup), that makes your hard drive an external hard drive with only the knowledge of the connected computer as to what to install software from. The installer will sensitive to the host's CPU, not the target's CPU. An error of the target could happen in the fashion you describe.

A 2020 MacBook Pro as a host will never allow High Sierra to be installed because the operating system is too old for it.

A 2017 MacBook Pro might allow High Sierra to be installed on a 2009 MacBook Pro set to target, but once booted the 2009 MacBook Pro won't understand what High Sierra is as it is too new for the 2009 MacBook Pro.

Target disk mode may allow High Sierra to be installed on a 2009 MacBook Pro, and boot a 2017 MacBook Pro, but the 2009 MacBook Pro on its own will never support High Sierra.

Any machine with the T key booted is essentially a glorified external hard drive until it tries to boot on its own. Then its CPU will just which OS it is compatible with.

Host machine is the machine linked to the computer that booted with the 'T' key.

Target machine is the machine that booted with the 'T' key.

May 31, 2023 1:23 PM in response to a brody

Hi there, many thanks for your reply, much appreciated. I'm not in a position to get one of those USB hubs. I tried the command-option-shift-R and i got taken to the flashing folder with question mark.

Also why am I getting the "Target is not convertible to APFS, was called on a APFS disk: This volume is not formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" message on the error logs when I try to install the OS?

May 31, 2023 12:29 PM in response to Pretty Boy

There is no reason to do the flash drive method.

What you need is a good powered USB-ethernet hub such as:

https://www.smklink.com/products/usb-c-multi-port-hub

https://www.siig.com/search/JU-DK0F11-S1

and to plug the power of the laptop directly into the hub and an ethernet cable between the hub and the modem.

That will give you the internet connection necessary to proceed. Chances are it is not conveying the WiFi connection properly to the recovery server. command-option-shift-R at startup loads recovery, and allows you to restore the operating system from Apple directly.

If you have any data on your computer you need to recover, and you can't boot the system with the Option key, take a place that recovers data from Macs. http://www.apple.com/buy should help.

May 31, 2023 2:11 PM in response to Pretty Boy

If that's happening, it sounds like your built-in storage is damaged.

I would bring it into a service center to determine the health of the drive, and see if they can help you upgrade.

Generally the flashing question market disk indicates there is no workable system available. If it is appearing in internet recovery mode, and you are certain the internet is there, it has no place to download the recovery partition to that it can write to, which indicates a problem with the storage device.

May 31, 2023 3:21 PM in response to a brody

Hi Brody, I haven't been using Target Disk mode. The macbook pro I am having the issues with is a 2018. When I am in work tomorrow I have an old macbook air I can connect and try to use Target mode. Just need to dig out a USB lead that will connect both of them. Will let you know how I get on. Thanks so much for all this info and help.

recovery server could not be contacted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.