Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Phone call notifications and text notifications simultaneously on watch and phone

What year will I be able to get notifications of a phone call or text coming in on my watch and on my phone at the same time like I get with an alarm? Or timer?

Apple Watch SE, watchOS 9

Posted on May 31, 2023 11:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2023 10:03 PM

I “get” my messages but that’s not the problem. The problem is that I don’t “hear” that I got them. In other words there is no “sound” from my phone to tell me that I got mail or a text. I did not have this problem before I started using my watch. Any suggestions?

31 replies

Dec 3, 2023 12:28 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

No, what SHOULD happen is

• a phone call will ring on both the watch and phone
  • a text message alert will sound on both the watch and the phone, unless the ringer is silenced on the phone, in which case it would only appear on the watch
  • a text message will alert on the phone if it is unlocked, as well as on the watch. locked/unlocked status SHOULD have NOTHING to do with it!
  • better yet, allow the USER to customize these options to suit their needs!!

Nov 28, 2023 9:11 PM in response to Bawy76

Samsung watch > phone connection is so much more seamless. I just switched to iPhone & the Watch... & I'm regretting it with every ounce of my being. This setting (& lack of user adaptability) is ludicrous. On Samsung, you HAVE THE OPTION to select where & how you receive notifications... you can even select haptic only on the watch & audible on the phone. Complete user control... practically THE DEFINITION of tech & wearables! I'm realizing I potentially wasted $500+ on a watch that doesn't perform.

Nov 16, 2023 6:23 AM in response to Turbo8888

I don’t understand why this is not a user set up. When I ride my motorcycle or if I’m in my car with Bluetooth, I am not notified of a text message if this is turned in my watch. So I have to keep it off and therefore can only get messages on my phone or other Bluetooth devices but cannot get them to my watch. This is ridiculous and needs to be fixed!

Mar 9, 2024 1:52 PM in response to Bawy76

On iPhone, go to Watch app first, then select My Watch at bottom, then scroll to and select Messages. Mirror phone would only very briefly vibrate my watch, barely noticable. I changed setting to Custom, then set the checkmark On for Notification Center and Alerts set On for both sound and haptic. Then my iphone would do a notification sound as expected. Sometimes I think Apple IOS designers are left brained, especially when I cannot tap a place in a text box to put the cursor there. They decided to put the cursor at the beginning of the word forcing you to hold your finger down and drag the cursor which is just wasteing your time.

Aug 26, 2023 5:03 PM in response to Bawy76

Bawy76 wrote:

Ever since I started using my watch my iPhone stopped sounding incoming mail and text messages. I’ve got Mirror on as well as notifications. Is there something else I can try?

No, your notifications are working as designed. Read the Apple Recommended response just below the original post, where this link is attached --> Notifications on your Apple Watch – Apple Support (UK)

In that link it's noted that notifications come to your Apple Watch OR your iPhone, but NOT to both. If your iPhone screen is open (meaning you are using it), notifications will come to your phone. If your iPhone screen is locked (you're not using your iPhone), notifications will come to your watch. This is by design and there is no setting to defeat this.

May 31, 2023 12:04 PM in response to Turbo8888

In addition to what Carol B said, phone calls usually do come to the watch and phone at the same time. On your Apple Watch App on your iPhone, make sure you have Mirror your iPhone turned on for Phone Calls. But text notifications do NOT. And that is by design. If your iPhone screen is active, meaning you are using your phone, a text notifications will come to your phone. If you phone screen off (phone not in use) and you are wearing your watch, the notification will come to your watch, not your iPhone. Again, this is totally by design and exactly as Apple designed notifications to work. The rule is notifications will come to your iPhone or your Apple Watch, but NOT to both.

Read this link about Notifications on Apple Watch --> Notifications on your Apple Watch – Apple Support (UK)

Oct 15, 2023 2:15 PM in response to Turbo8888

After weeks of missed phone calls because my iPhone wouldn't ring when wearing my watch (powered the watch off so my iPhone would ring) and Googling but not finding a solution, I logged into ChatGPT and asked for a solution. Here's what worked for me:

When wearing my Apple Watch, my iPhone will not ring when someone calls me. Would like the iPhone and the watch to ring so I don't miss any calls, is this possible?

Yes, it is possible to have both your iPhone and Apple Watch ring when someone calls you. This way, you won't miss any calls whether you're wearing your watch or not. Here's how you can set this up:

1. On your iPhone:
  2. a. Open the "Settings" app on your iPhone.
  3. b. Scroll down and tap on "Bluetooth."
  4. c. Make sure that Bluetooth is turned on.
  5. On your Apple Watch:
  6. a. On your Apple Watch, swipe up from the watch face to access the Control Center.
  7. b. Ensure that the "Do Not Disturb" icon (a moon symbol) is not activated. If it's active, tap it to turn it off.
  8. On your iPhone:
  9. a. Go back to the main "Settings" app on your iPhone.
  10. b. Scroll down and tap on "Sounds & Haptics."
  11. c. Under the "Sounds and Vibration Patterns" section, you will see "Ringtone" and "Vibrate on Ring." Make sure both of these settings are enabled.
  12. On your iPhone:
  13. a. Go to the "Settings" app.
  14. b. Scroll down and tap on "Phone."
  15. c. Under the "Calls" section, make sure that "Silence Unknown Callers" is turned off. This ensures that your iPhone will ring for all incoming calls, even if the caller is not in your contacts.

By following these steps, you should have your iPhone and Apple Watch both ring when you receive a call. If you continue to experience issues with this setup, you may want to ensure that your iPhone and Apple Watch are running the latest software updates, as Apple often releases updates that can improve device compatibility and functionality.

Phone call notifications and text notifications simultaneously on watch and phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.