Lost iPhone on airplane mode

Hi apple team,

I lost my phone and it’s on airplan mode, how I can find the location and erase the data ??

I contact you from my husband apple-ID since I can not sign in to my apple-ID.

I lose it in Austria, while the trip to Switzerland.

please your support much appreciated.

Hanan

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on May 31, 2023 1:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2023 3:04 PM

Unfortunately, your hands are tied with the iPhone in Airplane Mode. It won't be possible for Find My to locate and display the iPhone. No workarounds on this one.

9 replies

May 31, 2023 1:15 PM in response to Hananphone

This is not Apple itself, but a community.

You can try to locate a lost iPhone by going to iCloud.com & sign-in with your Apple ID & password. Tap on "Find my iPhone" > select "All Devices" at the top part & select your lost phone on the list.

You have the option to "Play a sound", "Mark as Lost" or "Erase device" if your phone is online. If your phone is offline, it may show the last location & it will run the option that you selected when it goes online. If your phone is not on the list, then there's no option to find it anymore.

You can check the following resources:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen

Use the Find My app to locate a lost or stolen device

May 31, 2023 1:55 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Please refer to the following article: Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support. By 'logging', to clarify for you, I am talking about iCloud.com. AppleID users will be sent a two-factor authentication code to their other devices or their phone number when logging into iCloud.com if it is applicable to their AppleID settings, which, if OP does not have another trusted device or phone number, will be her only other way of logging into FindMy without having to go through Account Recovery. Hope this helps.

May 31, 2023 1:19 PM in response to Hananphone

Hello,

An iPhone on Airplane Mode will not have any way to connect to any wireless functionalities which turns off all radio frequencies except for Bluetooth as seen in the article here: Use Airplane Mode on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support. GPS or Global Positioning System is the type of radio frequency that is used to locate an iPhone through FindMy, a service provided through your AppleID. As seen in this article here: Locate a device in Find Devices on iCloud.com - Apple Support, the device, which will unable to be located, may display the last known location for up to 24 hours. Keep in mind, the ability to check the last location is tied to your AppleID, so you will need to sign in to iCloud.com in order to possess this functionality.

If you have forgotten your password, you can reset it through iforgot.apple.com, refer to the the article here: If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support. It may ask you for dual factor authentication or to use a trusted device or phone number to reset it. If you are unable to access all of the above, then you can begin your account recovery either through the website or through Apple Support Online.

Once you are able to login, you can either put it in Lost Mode as seen in the following article: Use Lost Mode in Find Devices on iCloud.com - Apple Support or erase it as seen in the following: Erase a device in Find Devices on iCloud.com - Apple Support. Hope this helps.

Yasamean

Jun 1, 2023 6:50 AM in response to yasamean

yasamean wrote:

Please refer to the following article: Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support. By 'logging', to clarify for you, I am talking about iCloud.com. AppleID users will be sent a two-factor authentication code to their other devices or their phone number when logging into iCloud.com if it is applicable to their AppleID settings, which, if OP does not have another trusted device or phone number, will be her only other way of logging into FindMy without having to go through Account Recovery. Hope this helps.

That is not correct. You can log into "Find My..." without 2FA. You go to iCloud.com and sign in. When it brings up the box to enter the 2FA code, there are is also a link at the bottom of the screen that will allow you to log into Find My... without the code.

Lost iPhone on airplane mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.