iMessages go to two iPhones

My partner has an iPhone 13 for personal use and uses her old iPhone 8 (I think) for work, separate numbers of course. When I send her an iMessage to her personal phone, it also ends up on her work phone - I never text her on her work phone and have also removed her work number from her contact details. My iMessages are the only ones that do this, no one else's!

Is there a solution, because it is not only annoying but personal messages should not be received on her work phone?

Thanks, Adam

iPhone 13 mini

Posted on Jun 1, 2023 5:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2023 9:24 AM

Hi Adam, this issue is most likely happening because both of her iPhones are using the same Apple ID for iMessage. Here’s what you can do to resolve it:

1. On her work iPhone, go to Settings.

2. Scroll down and tap on Messages.

3. Tap on Send & Receive.

4. Under “You can receive iMessages to and reply from”, uncheck her personal number and ensure only the work number is checked.

This way, when you send an iMessage to her personal number, it should only appear on her personal phone.

Just remember, if she wants to keep using the same Apple ID for other services (like iCloud, App Store, etc.) on both phones, make sure to only change the settings for iMessage, not for the Apple ID as a whole.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2023 9:24 AM in response to Boggled

Hi Adam, this issue is most likely happening because both of her iPhones are using the same Apple ID for iMessage. Here’s what you can do to resolve it:

1. On her work iPhone, go to Settings.

2. Scroll down and tap on Messages.

3. Tap on Send & Receive.

4. Under “You can receive iMessages to and reply from”, uncheck her personal number and ensure only the work number is checked.

This way, when you send an iMessage to her personal number, it should only appear on her personal phone.

Just remember, if she wants to keep using the same Apple ID for other services (like iCloud, App Store, etc.) on both phones, make sure to only change the settings for iMessage, not for the Apple ID as a whole.

iMessages go to two iPhones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.