Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

how to get rid of trojan virus

How to get rid of Trojan virus that has shut down my iMac

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Jun 1, 2023 6:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2023 7:45 AM

Yes, reconnecting power and booting into Safe Mode is a good idea.

The first thing you should do when you are able to is run MalwareBytes. This is the only software that I would run for malware detection and even then, I only suggest the free one time scan of your system and not allow it to run on every launch. After that, here are some more tips:

• Remove any Safari Extensions
  • Remove any Safari Notifications
  • Remove any Safari PopUp Windows
  • Verify system Notifications
  • Don't install any anti-virus
  • Don't install ad blockers
  • Be suspicious of links in mail that can direct you to fake sites that will ask you for your credentials
  • Don't fall for the fake "Flash Player Update" notification on some websites

https://www.malwarebytes.com

I may get some push back on the hard stance of not using Safari Extensions or Ad Blockers, but unless you are vigilant on protecting your data and are excellent at troubleshooting issues that come up, this is an easy area for bad actors to exploit any weakness in securing your data.

For further information on the state of your system, another safe program to run is EtreCheck and you can post the report here using the "Additional Text" option when posting. Again, only the one time free scan should be used.

EtreCheck

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2023 7:45 AM in response to PPcheerleader

Yes, reconnecting power and booting into Safe Mode is a good idea.

The first thing you should do when you are able to is run MalwareBytes. This is the only software that I would run for malware detection and even then, I only suggest the free one time scan of your system and not allow it to run on every launch. After that, here are some more tips:

• Remove any Safari Extensions
  • Remove any Safari Notifications
  • Remove any Safari PopUp Windows
  • Verify system Notifications
  • Don't install any anti-virus
  • Don't install ad blockers
  • Be suspicious of links in mail that can direct you to fake sites that will ask you for your credentials
  • Don't fall for the fake "Flash Player Update" notification on some websites

https://www.malwarebytes.com

I may get some push back on the hard stance of not using Safari Extensions or Ad Blockers, but unless you are vigilant on protecting your data and are excellent at troubleshooting issues that come up, this is an easy area for bad actors to exploit any weakness in securing your data.

For further information on the state of your system, another safe program to run is EtreCheck and you can post the report here using the "Additional Text" option when posting. Again, only the one time free scan should be used.

EtreCheck

Jun 1, 2023 7:22 AM in response to PPcheerleader

If you search on your question, you get lots of hits by sites trying to sell you something. And generally they use some sort of "gentle" scare tactic. The first thought that occurs to me is them making money off of unwary users.

Your chances of have any kind of virus is slim to none. Malware maybe but not a true computer virus.

Jun 2, 2023 8:21 AM in response to PPcheerleader

This a very common, and nonsensical "threat" that will show up on web sites, a popup from one, or in an email/message.

There's no such thing as a Trojan Virus. They're two entirely separate types of malware.

If you know what types of extensions you have in Safari, there's absolutely nothing wrong with having them installed. I have two. One for 1Password, and Ka-Block!, which is an ad blocker.

Ad blockers are extremely useful. They prevent most of these types of garbage threats from appearing in the first place. Ka-Block! is free and available through the App Store.

how to get rid of trojan virus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.