Email not syncing with my new ipad air

I have just had a new iPad Air and although i have added my email accounts to it, when I delete emails from either my iPhone or my iMac, they still show on my iPad. What am I doing wrong ? Could I have an easy to understand layman answer please?

iPad Air, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 1, 2023 1:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2023 1:35 PM

Let's start with a few questions, if you don't mind:

1. Do you use the same Apple ID on each of your Apple devices? I'm assuming the answer is yes, unless you tell me otherwise.
  2. Is this syncing issue with a particular email account, or with all of your accounts? If it is a particular one, who is the email provider?

It sounds like you're having some trouble syncing your email accounts across your Apple devices, particularly with your new iPad Air. First off, don't worry, these things can happen and they're usually pretty straightforward to fix.

The issue you're experiencing often arises when the email accounts are set up as POP instead of IMAP on your devices. POP is an older email standard that doesn't sync changes across devices, which means if you delete an email on one device, it won't be deleted on the others. On the other hand, IMAP syncs your actions across all your devices, which sounds like what you want.

To resolve this issue, I'd suggest you check your email settings on each of your devices to ensure they're set up as IMAP accounts. Here's how to do it on your iPad:

1. Open the Settings app.

2. Scroll down and tap "Mail."

3. Tap "Accounts."

4. Tap the account that's giving you trouble.

5. Under 'Incoming Mail Server', check if the account type is listed as IMAP or POP. If it's POP, you'll need to delete and re-add the account as an IMAP account.

Remember to back up any important emails before you delete the account, just to be safe. Afterward, add the account back using the "Add Account" option in the "Accounts" section of the Mail settings. Be sure to choose IMAP (if given the option) when setting it up.

You can also use the following links to detailed Apple Support guides that might help you out:

I hope this helps and gets your emails syncing smoothly across all your devices. Let us know if you have any more questions!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2023 1:35 PM in response to CPrind

Let's start with a few questions, if you don't mind:

1. Do you use the same Apple ID on each of your Apple devices? I'm assuming the answer is yes, unless you tell me otherwise.
  2. Is this syncing issue with a particular email account, or with all of your accounts? If it is a particular one, who is the email provider?

It sounds like you're having some trouble syncing your email accounts across your Apple devices, particularly with your new iPad Air. First off, don't worry, these things can happen and they're usually pretty straightforward to fix.

The issue you're experiencing often arises when the email accounts are set up as POP instead of IMAP on your devices. POP is an older email standard that doesn't sync changes across devices, which means if you delete an email on one device, it won't be deleted on the others. On the other hand, IMAP syncs your actions across all your devices, which sounds like what you want.

To resolve this issue, I'd suggest you check your email settings on each of your devices to ensure they're set up as IMAP accounts. Here's how to do it on your iPad:

1. Open the Settings app.

2. Scroll down and tap "Mail."

3. Tap "Accounts."

4. Tap the account that's giving you trouble.

5. Under 'Incoming Mail Server', check if the account type is listed as IMAP or POP. If it's POP, you'll need to delete and re-add the account as an IMAP account.

Remember to back up any important emails before you delete the account, just to be safe. Afterward, add the account back using the "Add Account" option in the "Accounts" section of the Mail settings. Be sure to choose IMAP (if given the option) when setting it up.

You can also use the following links to detailed Apple Support guides that might help you out:

I hope this helps and gets your emails syncing smoothly across all your devices. Let us know if you have any more questions!

Email not syncing with my new ipad air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.