iphone 12 overheating

I got the iPhone 12 a little over a year ago. Since I have gotten it I’ve had problems with it overheating. I could be watching something on my phone, on a phone call, or the phone just be charging and it’ll overheat. I talked to a friend who has the same phone and she said her phone constantly overheats as well. I’ve checked my battery health in the settings and it says my battery is good so I have no clue what it is. I talked to support a while ago about it and their advice was not to use apps on my phone while charging it to try and prevent it.

Does anybody else have an issue with their IPhone 12 overheating??

iPhone 12, iOS 16

Posted on Jun 1, 2023 2:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2024 6:33 PM

I’ve been told so many times that the iPhone 12 has a big problem with overheating. Yes, I will gladly call it overheating even if my phone (that is obviously way hotter than it should be) isn’t telling me it’s too hot. I’ve never had a problem with my previous iPhones while charging them. It will get super hot on the charger if your on a phone call or scrolling on social media or watching videos and then all of a sudden the brightness on your phone goes all the way down to where you can barely see the screen even though your settings are telling you the brightness is all the way up. Also, to add to that at the same time, your phone starts freezing or running super slow and won’t go back to normal until you unplug it and turn it off. THAT for an iPhone or any phone is not normal and needs to be fixed. I’m on my second iPhone 12 and still having the same exact issues.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2024 6:33 PM in response to mia_nelson715

I’ve been told so many times that the iPhone 12 has a big problem with overheating. Yes, I will gladly call it overheating even if my phone (that is obviously way hotter than it should be) isn’t telling me it’s too hot. I’ve never had a problem with my previous iPhones while charging them. It will get super hot on the charger if your on a phone call or scrolling on social media or watching videos and then all of a sudden the brightness on your phone goes all the way down to where you can barely see the screen even though your settings are telling you the brightness is all the way up. Also, to add to that at the same time, your phone starts freezing or running super slow and won’t go back to normal until you unplug it and turn it off. THAT for an iPhone or any phone is not normal and needs to be fixed. I’m on my second iPhone 12 and still having the same exact issues.

Jun 1, 2023 2:33 PM in response to mia_nelson715

When you say your iPhone is overheating, are you actually seeing a warning on your iPhone screen, telling you the phone needs to cool down before you can use it again? If no, your iPhone is likely not overheating at all.

When you do certain things on any cell phone, it will become warm. Charging your phone will make it warm. Watching videos or streaming music and it will become warm. Updating iOS on your phone and it will become warm. Playing video games and it will get warm. This is expected and normal.

Your iPhone has circuitry built in to stop if from overheating and it will tell you it needs to cool down. If you are not getting such a message, your phone may be getting warm, but it is not overheating.

If you are concerned after reading this, schedule an appointment at your Apple Store Genius Bar and let them test the phone.

Jun 1, 2023 2:36 PM in response to lobsterghost1

A lot of the time the screen will start to dim, the phone will slow down, I’ll get the message about not being able to charge, the flashlight will stop working, then the message will pop up where I can’t use my phone at all. The message doesn’t always pop up but my screen constantly dims and the flashlight and charging constantly stop working. I live a good bit from the closest Apple Store to me but it looks like I might end up going in sometime soon.

iphone 12 overheating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.