Intermittent message notifications on iphone 12

For the past month my phone has only intermittently(mostly not) given me audio notifications on incoming messages. I have 3 devices-iphone 12, latest iPad and apple watch 8, and all have the latest iOS installed. I RECEIVE every message that people send me on every device. The problem is my phone hardly ever makes an audible notification sound anymore, so unless I hear the iPad make noise (sometimes it does but not always) or feel the haptic buzz from the watch on my wrist, I miss most of my messages. I have gone through all the usual suggestions-do not disturb, notification settings, simple volume check, immediate delivery of messages vs scheduled summary, notification grouping, phone set to"send and receive from my phone number" etc etc, all to no avail. I've checked all my contacts and no one is set to "hide alerts". It doesn't seem to matter if it's a group text, individual text, Android or imessage. It will be intermittent within the same thread of a chat, and again group or individual doesn't seem to matter. It also doesn't seem to be person specific, for example, my husband will text me and the phone plays his notification sound, he sends me a text again 2 minutes later and no noise... But the text will come through both times. I literally need to be sitting there staring at my phone screen all day if I don't want to miss a message. Any suggestions?

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Jun 1, 2023 10:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2023 1:28 AM

Where notifications appear

Notifications appear on your Apple Watch or iPhone, but not both.

If your iPhone is unlocked, you get notifications on your iPhone instead of your Apple Watch.

If your iPhone is locked or asleep, you get notifications on your Apple Watch, unless your Apple Watch is locked.

Some apps, such as the Noise app, are only on your Apple Watch. Notifications for these apps don't appear on your iPhone.

The red notification icon  appears at the top of your watch face when you have unread notifications. If you want to hide the notification icon, open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, tap Notifications, then turn off Notifications Indicator.

When you read or dismiss notifications on your Apple Watch, they’re also dismissed from your iPhone.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2023 1:28 AM in response to Hihi-McFly

Where notifications appear

Notifications appear on your Apple Watch or iPhone, but not both.

If your iPhone is unlocked, you get notifications on your iPhone instead of your Apple Watch.

If your iPhone is locked or asleep, you get notifications on your Apple Watch, unless your Apple Watch is locked.

Some apps, such as the Noise app, are only on your Apple Watch. Notifications for these apps don't appear on your iPhone.

The red notification icon  appears at the top of your watch face when you have unread notifications. If you want to hide the notification icon, open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, tap Notifications, then turn off Notifications Indicator.

When you read or dismiss notifications on your Apple Watch, they’re also dismissed from your iPhone.

Jun 2, 2023 9:36 AM in response to SravanKrA

Hmmm that is an interesting idea but that can't be my problem, and here is why: I've had the problem with my phone giving intermittent audible notifications for a month or more, and I've only had the watch for 9 days. This problem was occurring before I owned the watch, so that clearly cannot be what's causing the issue... Any other suggestions?

Intermittent message notifications on iphone 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.