Outdoor cycling workout is inaccurate

Why is the calorie count under outdoor cycling so much less than it would be for other categories? I did a half hour workout, and it only gave me about 120 active calories. I have an Apple Watch SE.

Apple Watch SE, watchOS 9

Posted on Jun 2, 2023 6:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2023 6:33 AM

There are a few reasons why the calorie count under outdoor cycling on your Apple Watch SE might be lower than for other categories.

• Your weight and fitness level. The heavier you are, the more calories you will burn during exercise. Also, the fitter you are, the more efficiently your body uses energy, so you will burn fewer calories for the same amount of work.
  • Your speed and intensity. The faster you ride and the harder you work, the more calories you will burn.
  • The terrain. Riding uphill burns more calories than riding on flat ground.
  • The weather. Riding in hot weather can increase your calorie burn, as your body has to work harder to stay cool.
  • The accuracy of your Apple Watch. The Apple Watch uses a variety of sensors to track your activity, including your heart rate, speed, and distance traveled. However, no sensor is perfect, and there is some margin of error in the calorie count.

Here are some tips to help you get the most accurate calorie count from your Apple Watch:

• Make sure your Apple Watch is properly fitted.
  • Update your Apple Watch to the latest software.
  • Wear your Apple Watch on your non-dominant wrist.
  • Keep your Apple Watch clean and dry.
  • Avoid wearing your Apple Watch in extreme temperatures.
  • If you are using a heart rate monitor, make sure it is properly calibrated.

If you are still having problems with the accuracy of your Apple Watch, you can contact Apple Support for help.

I hope this helps!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2023 6:33 AM in response to bossis

There are a few reasons why the calorie count under outdoor cycling on your Apple Watch SE might be lower than for other categories.

• Your weight and fitness level. The heavier you are, the more calories you will burn during exercise. Also, the fitter you are, the more efficiently your body uses energy, so you will burn fewer calories for the same amount of work.
  • Your speed and intensity. The faster you ride and the harder you work, the more calories you will burn.
  • The terrain. Riding uphill burns more calories than riding on flat ground.
  • The weather. Riding in hot weather can increase your calorie burn, as your body has to work harder to stay cool.
  • The accuracy of your Apple Watch. The Apple Watch uses a variety of sensors to track your activity, including your heart rate, speed, and distance traveled. However, no sensor is perfect, and there is some margin of error in the calorie count.

Here are some tips to help you get the most accurate calorie count from your Apple Watch:

• Make sure your Apple Watch is properly fitted.
  • Update your Apple Watch to the latest software.
  • Wear your Apple Watch on your non-dominant wrist.
  • Keep your Apple Watch clean and dry.
  • Avoid wearing your Apple Watch in extreme temperatures.
  • If you are using a heart rate monitor, make sure it is properly calibrated.

If you are still having problems with the accuracy of your Apple Watch, you can contact Apple Support for help.

I hope this helps!

Jun 2, 2023 7:56 AM in response to Jijo_S_Lal

I’m pretty sure it’s not the result of my lack of knowledge regarding my body, weight, exercise, intensity, etc. I exercise pretty much daily. Walking is one of my favorite exercises, but when I use the outdoor cycling mode, I found that, even though my heart rate was much higher, and I was sweating more profusely, my results were the same as walking. Results meaning calorie count. there is only one thing I can think of that I was doing that might have affected the results, and that would be I turned my watch around, so it was facing my body, so it was on the inside of my wrist instead of the outside. I assumed that that this would give me a better heart rate reading. I will try again today with it facing outward, but if it is the same I would say that this might be something for apple tech folks to look at as I have seen complaints about the outdoor cycling app shared here and other places online for similar reasons.

Outdoor cycling workout is inaccurate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.