Will the touch bar ever come back?

I am interested in buying a new MacBook Pro but all the updated versions out now do not have the Touch Bar. My current MacBook has it and I love it very much. Do we know if it will ever make a comeback? I do not want to purchase a new computer if it has a chance of coming back. Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jun 2, 2023 11:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2023 12:49 AM

I own a 16” MacBook Pro with the Touch Bar I purchased in 2020 and I LOVE IT! I’m Extremely Disappointed that Apple decided to not include it on the new 16” Pro Models with the M Processors because of some complaints from individuals that didn’t like it. What about us that do? Why can’t they make two versions? One with, And one without the Touch Bar. I would love to experience the capabilities of Apples new M Processor, But feel that Apple regressed by going back to the old school top keys, Instead of progressing with the innovative technology they created. SHAME ON YOU APPLE! Please bring back the Touch Bar, Or at least bring it back as an option for us that Love It!

102 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2023 12:49 AM in response to bradleyk27

I own a 16” MacBook Pro with the Touch Bar I purchased in 2020 and I LOVE IT! I’m Extremely Disappointed that Apple decided to not include it on the new 16” Pro Models with the M Processors because of some complaints from individuals that didn’t like it. What about us that do? Why can’t they make two versions? One with, And one without the Touch Bar. I would love to experience the capabilities of Apples new M Processor, But feel that Apple regressed by going back to the old school top keys, Instead of progressing with the innovative technology they created. SHAME ON YOU APPLE! Please bring back the Touch Bar, Or at least bring it back as an option for us that Love It!

Oct 16, 2023 3:42 AM in response to bradleyk27

I am a touchbar addict. Without it every Mac looks and feels incomplete. I would love the 14, 15 and 16 variants of Mac to have the Touch Bar. The only reason I have not purchased the new ones till date and still using my 2016 Touch Bar version. And Apple is right now forcing people to buy the new mac's by dropping support for the 2016 dec variants after Monterey. Apple should know that people once used to the Touch Bar won't opt for lame buttons only keyboards layouts

Oct 24, 2023 3:35 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Yes I did post my concerns on Apple feedback, I feel that Apple should have done more to promote and further develop the technology instead of just abandoning it. Just as lots of individuals voiced their dislike for the Touch Bar feature, I felt I should voice my opinion as to liking it. The fact that I spent almost $4,000 on my MacBook, And when I upgrade in the future, I’m sure I’ll spend at least that much on a new one, I feel that entitles me to voice my opinion regarding features I would like to see on the product. I realize it’s up to Apple whether or not they’ll put the Touch Bar back on the MacBook, It gives me satisfaction to at least voice my concerns, And hopefully if enough of us give them feedback. It might make a difference.

Oct 24, 2023 8:11 PM in response to HWTech

That “highly useful” part is what touchbar comes as a handyman.

apps which I use the touchbar for

1) Xcode. Debug run jump.

2) music

3) brightness contrast

4) zoom calls

5) screen records

6) browser tabs.

literally makes life easy

plus it’s highly customizable nature adds value to many other apps. Such as preview. Photoshop. Premiere. And more.

Dec 22, 2023 8:21 AM in response to bradleyk27

One of the best things about Mac was its touch bar. it was so iconic. I just loved it so much. I am having the Macbook Pro M1 2020 version. it was super comfortable and easy to use. I always felt that touch bar made my life a little easy. but now I am feeling devasted about discontinuing touch bar. I wish touch bar comes back and I could buy a new mac with Touch Bar.

Dec 21, 2023 8:52 AM in response to bradleyk27

I wanted to let Readers know that the desire for the touchbar is NOT exactly universal.

I showed a touchbar Mac to my wife, who likes everything to stay the same. For her, things should be 'quiet' so she can figure out how to approach things. She was FAR from enthusiastic.

She said, "So this bar flashes different icons with each App that you switch to?"

"Yes" I said, "including the Finder."

"Get this thing out of my sight and NEVER put it in front of me again, EVER."

Oct 24, 2023 2:10 PM in response to mexcelle

mexcelle wrote:

The touch bar was one of the finest features of MacBook Pro machinI've never updated my 2016 15 inch Macbook Pro because Apple downgraded it into a lousy keyboard based system. When they brought it back to the 13 inch MacBook Pro I was anxiously waited for its return to the 14, 16 and the MacBook Air 15 inch. I believe Apple does not think outside the box for the benefit of its customers, but for the sake of their own egos

Have you told Apple what you think?

Product Feedback - Apple

Apparently, the Touchbar Macs didn't sell as well as the ones without. Also, they were more expensive to repair.

Dec 22, 2023 8:31 AM in response to SharmithaVijayan

SharmithaVijayan wrote:

One of the best things about Mac was its touch bar. it was so iconic.

It really wasn't "iconic". I doubt very many people ever associated it with Apple in popular culture. It was only ever available on a subset of Macs and wasn't popular enough to be continued.

You can, however, let Apple know that you'd like to see it back here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Meanwhile, my advice is to not become so attached to one feature of a piece of technology that when it goes away, you are "devastated." Because change is going to happen.

Mar 2, 2024 7:02 PM in response to AstrumBello

AstrumBello wrote:

I love the touch bar. I use it professionally, for many very effective, repetitive functions.
I can't stand by thinking that my next Mac may not have the touch bar. I also think that the new keyboards, with the keys of the function of equal size to a normal button, are definitely disproportionate and with unnecessarily large function keys. It would be better to have two function keys instead of one or both the physical function button and the touchbar above it.
Here you are. Making coexisting features and touch bar would be an internal idea that Apple should elaborate.
And, of course, 4 Thunderbolt doors and Magsafe power supply :))))

Tell Apple:

Product Feedback - Apple

Oct 24, 2023 6:42 AM in response to kevjazzele

kevjazzele wrote:

Apple doesn't read here in this user-to-user forum for feedback or suggestions. You can, however, let them know your thoughts here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Yes, of course Apple should feel deeply ashamed that they can't be all things to all people.

Nov 27, 2023 7:32 AM in response to wolfeeeeee

wolfeeeeee wrote:

I love TouchBar and I use it at so many cases.
First, I type in two languages so switching from these two languages is extremely convenient by using TouchBar.
I also take screenshots, slide for volume and brightness using TouchBar.
My first touch on the Touch Bar was on my grandparent's MacBook Pro and I was fascinated by it so Touchbar is kind of my childhood.
The most important part is, Touch Bar can skip ads :)

Tell Apple:

Product Feedback - Apple

Nostalgia from people in their teens and twenties is so cute.

Will the touch bar ever come back?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.