best option for second display

I have to connect a second display to my Mac Studio max, a 27' Eizo 4K.

Connected to my Mac Studio there's an Akitio Thunder3 QuadX which has 2 thunderbolt3 ports and 1 DisplayPort 1.2 for a second display.

What's the best option between connecting my 2nd display directly to my Mac Studio and to my Akitio?

Is DisplayPort preferable over usb-c for displays?

Any input or suggestions would be much appreciated. I don't know much about this topic.

Thank you!

Mac Studio, macOS 12.5

Posted on Jun 2, 2023 12:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2023 3:46 AM

The USB-C (Thunderbolt) ports on your Mac Studio generate output in DisplayPort form. It's just that the DisplayPort is being carried inside of a USB-C ( DisplayPort ALT Mode ) or Thunderbolt connection.

A USB-C or Thunderbolt connection to a display can carry video to the monitor, deliver charging power to a notebook computer, and hook up hub/dock ports on the monitor at the same time. But you can bring out the DisplayPort signal on a standard DP or mDP connector using a USB-C to DP or USB-C to mDP adapter.

Assuming that such an adapter is of good quality, there should be no disadvantage in terms of video quality.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2023 3:46 AM in response to MacGuido

The USB-C (Thunderbolt) ports on your Mac Studio generate output in DisplayPort form. It's just that the DisplayPort is being carried inside of a USB-C ( DisplayPort ALT Mode ) or Thunderbolt connection.

A USB-C or Thunderbolt connection to a display can carry video to the monitor, deliver charging power to a notebook computer, and hook up hub/dock ports on the monitor at the same time. But you can bring out the DisplayPort signal on a standard DP or mDP connector using a USB-C to DP or USB-C to mDP adapter.

Assuming that such an adapter is of good quality, there should be no disadvantage in terms of video quality.

Jun 3, 2023 9:15 AM in response to MacGuido

You're welcome.

A couple of things come to mind.

1. Reduced bandwidth which could cause slower drive performance.
  2. Blackouts, flickering, lower resolution and refresh rates to the display.

I'm not saying that what you prepose will not work. Just that it could be a problem if the cabling and storage device are not up to providing adequate bandwidth.

best option for second display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.