Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Newsroom Update

Apple and Major League Baseball announce July “Friday Night Baseball” schedule. Learn more >

Share/send a link to a movie or show using Apple TV

Is there any way to share a movie or show with someone? 

For example - I watched Star Wars and really enjoyed it. My sister has never seen it, so I want to recommend it to her, without her needing to write it down, open Apple TV, and find it.

I'm not talking about using the TV app on a Mac, or iOS device. Because that isn't where anyone should watch Star Wars. :)

Anything I'm missing? Or is this something that Apple is missing?

Apple TV 4K (3rd generation)

Posted on Jun 3, 2023 4:03 PM

4 replies

Jun 5, 2023 9:13 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks for the attempted answer, but that does not address my question. Allow me to provide some more detail.

I want to provide a recommendation to watch something, or a link to the content. It will be up to the person to whom I send a title/link/recommendation to have appropriate access to watch, but it saves me from typing it into iMessage and them having to either talk or type into their Apple TV search to find it.

And it saves them from wondering which title of the many that might be returned for a search like "Star Wars".

Jun 5, 2023 1:06 PM in response to wjhanger

There is a Share button on mobile (iPhone, iPad) and desktop (Mac) for all iTunes Store content in the TV app or iTunes Store app or iTunes application. From the Share function, choose Copy link, or send directly through Messages, email, WhatsApp, or other supported communication.

I think that might bring the functionality that you seek?

Jun 4, 2023 10:44 AM in response to wjhanger

For Apple iTunes Store movie titles, each user should have their own access to that title. You can’t share it with just anybody in another location, but you can buy it for her as a gift. Gift apps, music, movies, and more from Apple - Apple Support.

Likewise, if both users have Disney+, then you both may access any title available on there as included with the standard plan. You can’t share it if only one of the users has this subscription service.

When both users have access to a title from Apple, then both users can watch a title at the same time through Apple SharePlay.

Use SharePlay to watch, listen, and play together in FaceTime on iPhone - Apple Support

Once the FaceTime ‘connection’ for this is set up, then both users can ‘transfer’ it to their Apple TV box.

(Disney+ has ‘GroupWatch’ to watch content together in two locations, when both are subscribers.)

If you are both in the same Family Sharing group, with Purchase Sharing active (=organizer pays for all), only then can you share Apple movie purchases within that group.

Share/send a link to a movie or show using Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.