Why do another apple id pop up when I try to download a app

How can I update my apps

iPhone 6s, iOS 15

Posted on Jun 3, 2023 8:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2023 11:16 PM

An app is forever tied to the Apple ID that acquired it -

An App Store app is forever tied to the Apple ID used to acquire it (paid or free). The Apple ID is encoded into the licensed copy that is downloaded. It is in the copy's DNA. That is the only Apple ID that can redownload or update the app. If you cannot reclaim the old Apple ID, you will need to reacquire the app with your new Apple ID. That means repurchasing paid apps.

M1 Mac mini, macOS 13.4;  Watch, series 7 GPS/cellular, watchOS 9.5; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 16.5; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16.5; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 16.5; HomePods, audioOS 16.5 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2023 11:16 PM in response to Boobz-

An app is forever tied to the Apple ID that acquired it -

An App Store app is forever tied to the Apple ID used to acquire it (paid or free). The Apple ID is encoded into the licensed copy that is downloaded. It is in the copy's DNA. That is the only Apple ID that can redownload or update the app. If you cannot reclaim the old Apple ID, you will need to reacquire the app with your new Apple ID. That means repurchasing paid apps.

M1 Mac mini, macOS 13.4;  Watch, series 7 GPS/cellular, watchOS 9.5; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 16.5; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16.5; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 16.5; HomePods, audioOS 16.5 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

Why do another apple id pop up when I try to download a app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.