Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Related Article: Information about the My Photo Stream shutdown

So is this pushing apple users to be required to use apple icloud? Will my device not be able to hold the photos it currently holds?

I have 1T of photos on drive and much of my storage on my device. I usually remove them from my device to a hard drive to clean up space on my device. When you add pics to cloud from device it coordinates them all such that they can be reached from every other device, but I do not want that. I want to you the device that I purhcased to store the photos that are on it. What will happen to the photos on my device if I do not succumb to purchasing more cloud storage?

Posted on Jun 3, 2023 10:58 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jun 4, 2023 12:45 AM in response to SravanKrA

Enable iCloud Photos along with My Photo Stream so that your Photos from My Photo Stream are uploaded to iCloud automatically. If you already have then there is nothing to worry about. See the pic below

"My Photo Stream uploads your most recent photos (except Live Photos) so that you can view and import them to another device if you like. Photos are stored in My Photo Stream for 30 days and then are deleted from iCloud. To keep your photos stored in iCloud on an ongoing basis, set up and use iCloud Photos. iCloud Photos uploads all of your photos and videos to iCloud and keeps them up to date across your devices.

If you turn on both My Photo Stream and iCloud Photos on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, photos that you take with that device upload to both iCloud Photos and My Photo Stream.

If you use another device with the same Apple ID that has only My Photo Stream turned on, photos that you take on that device upload only to My Photo Stream. They don't appear on any devices that have only iCloud Photos enabled."

Learn more about the differences between iCloud Photos and My Photo Stream.

So is this pushing apple users to be required to use apple icloud? Will my device not be able to hold the photos it currently holds?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.