You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

MacBook Pro 14 m1: Ping sound every 7 seconds

Hello,

My MacBook Pro makes a single ping sound every 7 seconds. The sound comes from near the charging port area (so left side).

It does not come through the speakers, because I even hear it when the speakers are muted. I can not relate the sound to any app, as it continues with all the apps closed.

What is this sound? I assume it is some type of motherboard hardware error?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Jun 4, 2023 9:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2023 7:31 PM

Most likely that is the "ding" sound associated with connecting the charger. If the cable is loose in the port, or if the USB-C port has a hardware issue (or even other hardware issue with the laptop or charger/cable), then the laptop may be seeing the charger being connected over & over. I haven't used a Magsafe cable on the M2 laptops yet, so I'm not sure if they will "ding" with it or not like it does with a USB-C charging cable.

Here are a couple of Apple articles for charging issues (one for Magsafe & another for USB-C):

If your MagSafe cable or power adapter isn't working - Apple Support

If your USB-C power adapter isn't charging your Mac laptop - Apple Support

This will most likely require you to have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop to confirm. Take along your power adapter and charging cable so they can be tested as well in case the problem is with that instead of the laptop.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 6, 2023 7:31 PM in response to ThomasVG

Most likely that is the "ding" sound associated with connecting the charger. If the cable is loose in the port, or if the USB-C port has a hardware issue (or even other hardware issue with the laptop or charger/cable), then the laptop may be seeing the charger being connected over & over. I haven't used a Magsafe cable on the M2 laptops yet, so I'm not sure if they will "ding" with it or not like it does with a USB-C charging cable.

Here are a couple of Apple articles for charging issues (one for Magsafe & another for USB-C):

If your MagSafe cable or power adapter isn't working - Apple Support

If your USB-C power adapter isn't charging your Mac laptop - Apple Support

This will most likely require you to have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop to confirm. Take along your power adapter and charging cable so they can be tested as well in case the problem is with that instead of the laptop.

MacBook Pro 14 m1: Ping sound every 7 seconds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.