When I try to add additional email addresses to my account I get this error message “Invalid Email An unknown error has occurred.”

I’m trying to add an email address to my account but every time do it displays the message “Invalid Email An unknown error has occurred.” What’s wrong?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Jun 4, 2023 8:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2023 9:49 PM

If you’re trying to add an email address to your Apple ID or Mail app and getting an “Invalid Email” or “An unknown error has occurred” message, it can be due to a few reasons:

1. Incorrect Email Format: Make sure you’ve entered the correct email format, e.g., example@email.com. Any misspelling or incorrect format can cause this error.

2. Network Connection Issues: An unstable internet connection can cause this issue. Try switching to a different network or resetting your network settings (you can do this via Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings). Please note, resetting network settings will erase all network-related settings and return them to factory defaults.

3. Server Issues: The Apple server might be temporarily down. Check the Apple System Status page to see if there are any ongoing issues.

4. Software Issues: Your iOS might have a temporary glitch that a restart can resolve. Try restarting your iPhone and add the email again.

If none of the above solutions work, you might want to reach out to Apple Support for further assistance as this could be an account-related issue that requires more advanced troubleshooting.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2023 9:49 PM in response to bigdanstud

If you’re trying to add an email address to your Apple ID or Mail app and getting an “Invalid Email” or “An unknown error has occurred” message, it can be due to a few reasons:

1. Incorrect Email Format: Make sure you’ve entered the correct email format, e.g., example@email.com. Any misspelling or incorrect format can cause this error.

2. Network Connection Issues: An unstable internet connection can cause this issue. Try switching to a different network or resetting your network settings (you can do this via Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings). Please note, resetting network settings will erase all network-related settings and return them to factory defaults.

3. Server Issues: The Apple server might be temporarily down. Check the Apple System Status page to see if there are any ongoing issues.

4. Software Issues: Your iOS might have a temporary glitch that a restart can resolve. Try restarting your iPhone and add the email again.

If none of the above solutions work, you might want to reach out to Apple Support for further assistance as this could be an account-related issue that requires more advanced troubleshooting.

Jun 4, 2023 9:15 PM in response to bigdanstud

Let's start with what account do you want to add an additional email address to? Your Apple ID or another email service?

If it is your Apple ID, which type of additional email address are you trying to add:

• Your Apple ID email address?
  • A "Reachable At" email address?
  • A Rescue email address?

The Apple Support article you arrived here from explains each of these in greater detail. Did you already review this article?

When I try to add additional email addresses to my account I get this error message “Invalid Email An unknown error has occurred.”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.