Does the MacMini accept an external DVD player using a USB connection?

I have the DVD Player app up and showing; and an external DVD plugged in (which the paperwork states is compatible with Mac). It it is connected with the USB cord. The power light shows green when I hit it and the DVD is in. But on DVD Player (the app on MacMini), it shows no way to select the USB port or the external DVD player. I selected On My Mac and I checked the other folders that show up. What am I missing? Or will this not ever work?

Mac mini

Posted on Jun 4, 2023 9:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2023 10:45 PM

If you are using the Apple Super Drive cd/dvd player, make sure the device is plugged directly into the computer's USB port and not through a hub or dock.

In the DVD Player app, do you see in the Menu Bar the File menu > Open DVD Media... command?

That should open a context menu wherein you can navigate to the DVD in the drive and begin the playback.

Please see: DVD Player User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Also: Play a DVD or DVD movie file in DVD Player on Mac

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2023 10:45 PM in response to Troy_Deckert

If you are using the Apple Super Drive cd/dvd player, make sure the device is plugged directly into the computer's USB port and not through a hub or dock.

In the DVD Player app, do you see in the Menu Bar the File menu > Open DVD Media... command?

That should open a context menu wherein you can navigate to the DVD in the drive and begin the playback.

Please see: DVD Player User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Also: Play a DVD or DVD movie file in DVD Player on Mac

Does the MacMini accept an external DVD player using a USB connection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.