how to ask siri to text

I'm not sure what happened here. I was driving and asked Siri to send a message to my mother. I just wanted to ask her if she needed anything at the store as I was going by. I said, "Hey Siri. Text mom and ask what she wants at the store."

Siri replied, "what app would you like to use?" I replied, "text". Siri then repeated the question. I nevertheless got very frustrated and didn't send a message.

What did I do wrong? I have used Siri to send a message for years.

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on Jun 4, 2023 10:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2023 3:07 PM

Hey there perfectreign,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities about issue with Siri.

She asked the app to use, and depending if you were connected to the car or not, there is no app called "Text". Try again by answering with Messages.

Sometimes unexpected behavior can be resolved with a restart: Restart your iPhone

You also want to update if you have a compatible iPhone model. The latest version is iOS 16.5. You can verify this within Settings > General > About. In case you needed it, this link shows how to first back up, then update: Update your iPhone or iPad

If updating and providing the correct app name does not help, please let us know, when did this start to occur?

Has this occurred more than this one time?

Has this occurred with more than just your mom and that contact card?

Is it connected to the car? Also how is it connected? Are you using CarPlay, or a cable, or some other option like Ford SYNC?

What is the car year, make and model?

Is it occurring only while connected to the car?

Cheers!

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2023 3:07 PM in response to perfectreign

Hey there perfectreign,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities about issue with Siri.

She asked the app to use, and depending if you were connected to the car or not, there is no app called "Text". Try again by answering with Messages.

Sometimes unexpected behavior can be resolved with a restart: Restart your iPhone

You also want to update if you have a compatible iPhone model. The latest version is iOS 16.5. You can verify this within Settings > General > About. In case you needed it, this link shows how to first back up, then update: Update your iPhone or iPad

If updating and providing the correct app name does not help, please let us know, when did this start to occur?

Has this occurred more than this one time?

Has this occurred with more than just your mom and that contact card?

Is it connected to the car? Also how is it connected? Are you using CarPlay, or a cable, or some other option like Ford SYNC?

What is the car year, make and model?

Is it occurring only while connected to the car?

Cheers!

how to ask siri to text

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.